Making audio files for transcriber

Posted by Garret 
Making audio files for transcriber
June 04, 2008 07:40PM
I'm looking for ideas on the most efficient way to make audio files for a transcriber. She needs to know the timecode of the first frame, of course.

I'd rather not send video QTs with burn-in since we're FTPing the files and I want to keep them small.

Right now I'm using Compressor to make audio files from the original QTs that we captured using FCP. I label them with the starting timecode in the file name and off she goes. Just want to see if there's a better way.

I noticed that you lose the TC pulldown in the lower left corner of the QT player once the video is disabled. Bummer.

Thanks,
Garret
Re: Making audio files for transcriber
June 04, 2008 07:46PM
Does the transcriber need the images? If not, you could just export the video to be a super-small size and data rate. If you want the files even smaller and don't mind the whole "labelling with timecode" thing, use iTunes to make MP3s rather than AIFFs or WAVs. Then they'd be very small. MP3s don't have timecode, but since you're only labelling the first frame anyway, it may not matter. The upload times will be reduced drastically.

www.derekmok.com
June 04, 2008 08:44PM
I usually supply a Mono 32kHz 64kbps to 80kbps MP3 for Transcription...

I also remove any Music tracks unless its for Close Captioning or Subtitles for the Deaf which sometimes require FX & Music cues in the subtitles as well.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 05, 2008 02:40PM
I'm currently working on a transcription program (well, i'm working on an update...)

BWF is the easiest format, as it contains TC so things cannot go wrong.

The windows version of my application already supports BWF, the mac will in a week or so.

If you like, i can make a QT to BWF converter as well, so if you export QT's from FCP and run them trough my app, you end up with BWF's that are fool proof.

The way it is now you either have to enter the TC on one of the frames (most of the time the start frame), or have a stereo file where one of the channels contains LTC.

Also works, but normally you don't have LTC in your ingested material.
if you digitize and have a channel to spare, that's also an option.

have a look at my site for some demos...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics