Timeline settings a great mystery

Posted by JimEllis 
Timeline settings a great mystery
June 10, 2008 05:18PM
I imported some footage from a dvd into my timeline via Cinematize 2 Pro.
I used the 8 bit 4:2:2 uncompressed setting. The files showed up as 720x404 in size with a 16:9 aspect ratio with a rate of 29.97fps.
Upon moving them to the timeline I received a screen asking if I would like to change my sequence to match the footage. I of coursed agreed. When bringing in the footage onto the timeline it came in unrendered. My two questions are if the sequence was changed to match the footage why does it have to render and secondly where can I view the change that was made to the sequence.
Mac pro 2x3ghz duel core intel with 3gb memory
Thanks for the help,
Jim Ellis
Re: Timeline settings a great mystery
June 10, 2008 05:30PM
Although FCP might attempt to match a sequence to a clip, that doesn't mean FCP always can. If the format being imported into FCP is not a native format or compatible at all, you'll get the render bar.

I would check the file you created- you say uncompressed, 8-bit- but that does not mean its the Apple uncompressed codec. If you can, highlight the clip and press Command/9 which will bring up the item properties of the clip. See what compressor and other info it brings up. Post your answers here.

Andrew
June 10, 2008 09:25PM
best way to get to the bottom of these problems is to set up your browser with all the columns that deal with format related stuff:

right click in any column heading, and HIDE any column that isnt format related.
add any columns you might need (Size is not included in the default column layout)
then shuffle the columns into some sensible order

my current list includes (in this order)
Compressor
Vid Rate
Frame Size
Pixel Aspect
Field Dominance
Size
Anamorphic
Tracks
Aud Rate
Aud Format
Audio.

one thing that can catch you out is if your clip's Composite Mode is anything other than normal.
That'll get you a render bar.
so Composite Mode would be a good column to have in there, too.
same goes for Alpha.

when you have your column layout save it by right clicking the column heading and choosing save.

when you have the columns laid out like this, it;s very easy to see where the problem might lie.

i wonder if in your case it's just the audio that might be wrong?

oh, yes, there is an issue with getting a render bar if you have your Video Scopes set to RT.
you can turn that off in the Timeline's RT menu,
or just close the scopes, i guess.

nick
July 18, 2008 03:04PM
I have been searching for an answer to this as well. I've just used Cinematize Pro for the first time, got the "match sequence?" box, said yes, and now am in render hell. Also, the post-rendered timeline footage is out of sync. I believe I matched the CP settings with my with my FCP sequence correctly.

Now I just created a new sequence, said "no" to change sequence setting and the timeline plays great. My question is, will the supposed difference in settings (that I can't find) affect the exported file?

thanks for any tips!

karen

Later that afternoon...

Okay, got all settings to match except audio and I find out (Creative Cow post) that the 32-bit floating audio cannot be changed to match my clip's 16-bit integer. When I create a new sequence, edit the clip to timeline - I get no alert message to change sequence settings AND I get render bar. ARgh!

So is it better to go back to the slightly mismatched settings I had (frame size, pixel aspect and field dominance) and get no render bar? I am now more confused.
July 18, 2008 11:12PM
It's better to be able to work at the same settings as your timeline. What rendering does is force your footage in the timeline to conform to the settings of the timeline.

Can you capture the footage again with something that can match your timeline better?

No render bar with mismatched settings doesn't mean there's nothing to render. It just means your computer is able to display it in real time without having to think much about it first. Make sure to do a 'render all' before output, in order to get the full quality display.

July 22, 2008 12:47PM
Thanks for replying Jude. I will extract again with Cinematize and double check the settings. It's not the rendering itself that I mind it's rendering before I can work on the sequence. I just want to be able to play it while I'm working on it. Then she can render all she likes!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics