HDV Aspect Ratio Problem

Posted by clvsjeff 
HDV Aspect Ratio Problem
June 22, 2008 12:10PM
I've started cutting a show from 8 original tapes shot with 2 Sony HDV camcorders that were
digitized using "Capture Now" WITH device control. Out of those captured tapes I created many
subclips and bins to organize the material and I've already made one rough cut timeline sequence and I'm about halfway through another. My project setting is set for "NTSC DV Anamorphic" but I noticed that the shots left negative space above and below the image WITHIN
the anamorphic title safe area and looked horizontally stretched when the anamorphic check mark
was toggled in the clip properties of each clip. I'm starting to fear that all 8 master tapes were
digitized with an incorrect capture setting, possibly standard NTSC DV. So I have several questions. First, other than blowing everything in the timeline up 120% to properly fill the NTSC DV Anamorphic frame and losing resolution, can this be corrected in a better way? Do I have to
recapture everything? If I do have to recapture, can it be done without losing everything I've done with the project (subclips, names, bins, timeline sequences, etc.)? In another word, HELP?
Re: HDV Aspect Ratio Problem
June 22, 2008 12:30PM
if you have to recapture, create a new project, and make sure you name the clips and reels the same way you did in the original project.
Once digitized, check the footage to see if it works properly and then go back to the original project. Make all the clips offline and choose "delete original media from disk". Then relink to the newly digitized stuff. You should be good to go.
June 22, 2008 12:50PM
Should I do this through the Media Manager? That said, by your reply (thanks, by the way) is there no way to fix this with the media I already have?
June 22, 2008 07:08PM
"when the anamorphic check mark was toggled in the clip properties of each clip."

HDV is 16/9 natively.

you dont NEED to tick the anamorphic box,
and if you do, you will get what you see now.

in the browser, just un-tick everything.
select all,
control or right click on any clips' anamorphic tick,
and choose "all"

for the clip cut into the timeline,
select all,
control or right click,
"remove attributes": Distortion

this may not work as it normally does as you are cutting teh clips into a no-standard sequence (HDV clips into an NTSC timeline.

so you may have to do this:

in the timeline, park on the head of the first clip.
hit f to match frame it into the viewer
F10 to edit it back into the timeline

keep on doing that: f, F10 - f, F10.

should work

nick
June 23, 2008 08:55AM
>I'm starting to fear that all 8 master tapes were
>digitized with an incorrect capture setting, possibly standard NTSC DV.

If you meant to capture and work in NTSC DV, then you're cool. If you're planning to edit HDV material, but captured NTSC DV, and you need to export HDV, then you need to recapture.

And the difference between an anamorphic setting and a non-anamorphic setting is just the flag.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 23, 2008 10:08AM
I think you're right. This is my 4th project on this computer, but it's shared. Someone else may have changed the capture setting. When capturing, I've been digitizing the footage directly from
the HDV camcorder using the "capture now" setting WITH device control ('vtr ok'), so there IS timecode. Do you have any tips about recapturing original footage? I've never dumped footage
from my capture scratch folder before finishing a job, and it's kind of scary.

Jeff
June 23, 2008 11:31AM
[www.larryjordan.biz]

Here ya go! An oldie but a goldie. You can check out his books if you need a good run through on final cut.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 23, 2008 12:47PM
From what I've read - "8 master tapes were digitized with an incorrect capture setting, possibly standard NTSC DV" its not clear to me what your source material IS?

Before recapturing I suggest check out the clip properties in the Browser window. It will tell you exactly what the resolution is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics