Questionable aspect ratio procedure yet again???

Posted by Phil UK 
Questionable aspect ratio procedure yet again???
June 23, 2008 08:15AM
I have a project which was oddly enough shot 4 by 3. I am working with new people and they have told me to convert 4 by 3 to 16 by 9 to Motion>Scale 133> Distort 33.33 . Set sequence settings to anamororphic. I look kind of OK but not 100%. When exported the sequence come out 16 By 9 FHA. Is this correct proceedure or should I be cropping rather than said proceedure. Cheers Phl UK
Re: Questionable aspect ratio procedure yet again???
June 23, 2008 08:59AM
That's cool. Generally you tend to avoid scaling up to 133 percent, but that is it. The edges will be cropped off as they are no longer on the canvas. You can shift the shot up or down to adjust the framing slightly.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 23, 2008 10:11AM
Letterboxing and then Distort should yield approximately the same result. The reason I'd recommend letterbox/Distort with x,y settings is that it allows you to keep the clip's Scale at 100 per cent in case you need to do further blowups.

www.derekmok.com
June 23, 2008 10:15AM
Cheers gentlemen...it is better than it was - always learnin' eh?
June 23, 2008 11:16AM
Interesting tip, derek... In this case, will the footage be anamorphic on a 4:3 Canvas?

www.strypesinpost.com
June 23, 2008 12:02PM
> will the footage be anamorphic on a 4:3 Canvas?

Not sure what you mean there. I think the original question was how to shape/resize 4:3 footage for editing in anamorphic. So it'd be 4:3 footage on an anamorphic 16:9 Canvas.

www.derekmok.com
June 24, 2008 07:38AM
Nvm. This was what I meant (top right and bottom):

same rules apply to 4:3 going out to 16:9, except that the default behaviour in FCP is to pillarbox.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics