Hello from Calgary

Posted by KevinD 
Hello from Calgary
June 25, 2008 11:49PM
Greetings everyone!

My name is Kevin, I live in Calgary Alberta Canada, and I just completed my FCP Level 1 certification. The front page said to tell a little about myself, so I'll try to make it short.

I've been looking into getting into the film industry for some time, and editing seemed like the most intriguing part of the process, at least to me. I've done a ton of reading and I'm incredibly anxious to get in to the field and get going, even if all I'm doing is ingesting footage on the graveyard shift to start.

I don't have anything beyond a MacBook and a copy of Final Cut Express HD 3.5, but that's just until I can scrape together the cash to get a modest system and FCS2.

I look forward to reading what everyone has to say, and contributing the best I can.

Take Care!
Re: Hello from Calgary
June 26, 2008 01:22AM
welcome! this is one of the best forums around!
June 26, 2008 01:31AM
And that's exactly the right attitude for getting into the business. Keep it up, Kevin. smiling smiley

June 26, 2008 01:47AM
Welcome Kevin

Geez, nobody does that. I've always wanted to hear a bit about Jude Cotter. But, alas....

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 26, 2008 05:45AM
Well I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. It's the law.

June 26, 2008 07:45AM
There is a great bunch (all 5000+) of people here with a wealth of experience and opinions so you are bound to find answers to most of your questions.

Be sure to check out the new LAFCPUG FAQ wiki for any simple questions you may have and then post on the Forums if you cannot find what you need.

Welcome to the LAFCPUG Kevin!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 26, 2008 09:09AM
...and then some of us are just here for comedy relief smiling bouncing smiley

Welcome...!

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 26, 2008 09:28AM
>Well I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. It's the law.

Sshh! You don't say... winking smiley

www.strypesinpost.com
June 26, 2008 12:09PM

Well I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. It's the law.

That's OK, we're willing to sacrifice Mike, as long as we can listen in. tongue sticking out smiley

Scott
June 26, 2008 12:20PM
The really BIG secret is whether Jude is a man or a woman.

Harry
June 26, 2008 01:18PM
Its no secret Harry

Jude is actually an artificial intelligence application running on our LAFCPUG server...

J.U.D.E

Java Unaided Developing Entity - its designed to "learn" by storing all our questions in the database for cross reference.

The unaided is a little misleading as you have to program it with a small amount of silly comments or jokes to give it that real feel, otherwise its just a load of answers to questions and you would realize its just a machine/software.

We toyed with installing the interactive front end but it tends to get repetitive after about 20 minutes of conversation so that the "magic" is gone.

We run the C.0773 Revision look it up its quite a cool program.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 26, 2008 01:26PM
Ben is not real either. For that matter, neither am I. Come to think of it neither is lafcpug. Wow. Technology is really cool.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 26, 2008 01:38PM
Error 25 dsMemFullErr out of memory!

June 26, 2008 07:46PM
Ha ha! So everyone else here took the red pill too, huh?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, I look forward to talking more in the forums
June 26, 2008 08:01PM
Actually, non of these users are real...I am posting all the posts under different names. It's time-consuming, but I have nothing better to do drinking smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
Support lafcpug
Shop at the lafcpug Store
[www.lafcpug.org]

June 26, 2008 09:23PM
Have you tried trashing your preferences?

June 27, 2008 07:00AM
It was caused by the QT 7.5 upgrade. gotta downgrade with Pacifist.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the new LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : LAFCPUG FCP FAQ Wiki

www.strypesinpost.com
bj
June 27, 2008 10:27AM
Welcome KevinD
Great spot here/
Everyone is very helpful, and lots of interesting discussions.
Most questions get answered.
Years ago i remember buying a book by Tom W., I asked the forum a question? and he answered back. Where else can one get this great knowledge source?
Bj from BC (Vancouver Island).
June 27, 2008 11:30AM
Kevin, you get the prize for spawning one of the weirdest LAFCPUG threads with your very first post and you didn't even ask a question!

At least we found out the truth about Jued, adn bEN, add miCkllllllllllllzzzzzt
June 27, 2008 02:14PM
Welcome Kevin from Calgary!

I have some new relatives up that-a-way (by way of marriage) and went to visit there not too long ago. One is a teacher up there and I got to see the school where he works. He works at a middle school and what surprised me was that they are already teaching the kids Mac creative programs in his school!

I wish our schools were so cool!
June 27, 2008 03:06PM
> and you didn't even ask a question!

Saying hello causes the forum to go into overdrive. People tend to ask questions...

Michael Horton
-------------------
Support lafcpug
[www.lafcpug.org]

www.strypesinpost.com
June 27, 2008 05:46PM
Is it just me or do other people see Michael Horton signatures on some of the moderators' posts?

--
Eric Harnden
Quintessential Studios
---------------------------------
[wordpress.quintessentialstudios.net]
[twitter.com]
June 27, 2008 05:55PM
OTOH .... is it a moderator's username on a Michael Horton post?

Strype's last post was signed by the Horton, at least it looked that way. In keeping with the concept of "weirdest thread".
June 27, 2008 07:17PM
Everyone knows that I am an internet software bot. No one can post on as many forums as I do, and get any work done, and have a family life and be able to watch KNOCKED UP and actually enjoy it. On the Apple forum people think that I and Studio X are one in the same. Much like Janet and Michael Jackson are the same...when one is famous and touring, the other is silent...then the other comes out and tours and the first one is silent. Hmmm.

People have allegedly seen me in person at some LAFCPUG meetings...and seen my face on the Creative Cow forums, and here (look down). That is the REAL Shane Ross, but the one that is posting everywhere is a electronic robot. In search of Sarah Connor...and the perfect oatmeal cookie.

Need proof I am a robot? Post a typically asked question and I spit out an automated response...SHANE'S STOCK ANSWER #4,5687...sell your computer and become a hermit.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 27, 2008 07:24PM
Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everyone knows that I am an internet software bot.
> No one can post on as many forums as I do, and
> get any work done,

I KNEW IT!!!

--
Eric Harnden
Quintessential Studios
---------------------------------
[wordpress.quintessentialstudios.net]
[twitter.com]
June 27, 2008 07:26PM
Its all part of a giant conspiracy. Everyone is me and no one is

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 27, 2008 07:34PM
I have also been accused of being a consortium of 5 to 10 people. That also might be true. Shane Ross, Inc. Number of Employees: 8.

One of them has been blogging today, as the other one Twittered about the ACTUAL Shane working on three episodes at once. Or is that three people, on per episode?

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
June 27, 2008 07:37PM

Is it just me or do other people see Michael Horton signatures on some of the moderators' posts?

Whatever do you mean? * BEEP *

Michael Horton
-------------------
Support lafcpug
[www.lafcpug.org]

June 27, 2008 07:43PM
Uh...Michael. You commented in the CAFE...not the Moderators forum.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
June 27, 2008 07:45PM
oops. Poof!

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics