Must have Plug Ins for FCP 6.01

Posted by Barry Rosenberg 
Must have Plug Ins for FCP 6.01
June 30, 2008 10:45AM
Hey Guys, I am new to FCP and have been an AVID user forever. I am interested in your opinions and suggestions for loading up my MBP w/4gig Ram- 2.5 ghz core duo. I've read some reviews and now want to hear your "real world" thoughts.

Thank you

Barry
Re: Must have Plug Ins for FCP 6.01
June 30, 2008 02:00PM
MUST HAVE is relative. What type of programs do you edit? What plugins do you WANT to use?

I have a lot of plugins...I mean a LOT. But I find myself replying on the cut and dissolve more than anything. I might throw in a glow dissolve or a blur, but that is rare and is context driven. Filter use is always context driven.

What context are you needing? I have had Sapphire on many Avid systems, but only used them on VH1 shows where they demanded I did. Otherwise I wouldn't use them.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 30, 2008 02:24PM
Hey Barry...welcome from the Dark Side grinning smiley

Shane's right...what do you do? What are your main techniques? I am an FX guy so I have the entire Red Giant Software collection which kicks a$$ in both After Effects & FCP:

[www.redgiantsoftware.com]

We need more info...

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 30, 2008 04:33PM
I made the switch (Avid to FCP) LINK
18 months ago and in a small market (Tampa) it was a God send.
Have not edited on a Mac Avid in all that time (all PC Adrenaline).
I found the $49 Industrial Revolution Volumetrix a big WOW for the price.
DVGarage is a great Green Screen Keyer (inexpensive)
GFilm
GFree
Andy's (free)
Magic Bullet Looks
Magic Bullet Looks Suite
Stibs
Trapcode (3-d Stroke, Shine, StarGlow)
This is all on my home machine

AJA Kona 3 or ioHD is all that

DVCPro HD 720P30N will live in infamy

Apple Color is a Desktop DaVinci

Motion is an AE Killer unless 75% of your work is Compositing then AE remains intact.
(especially if you invest in the plug ins)

FCP is definitely where it's AT!
June 30, 2008 06:50PM

Motion is an AE Killer unless 75% of your work is Compositing then AE remains intact.
(especially if you invest in the plug ins)

Um...no. Motion is a good program in it's own right...but not an AE killer. Far from it. AE is used by even the largest FX houses with the biggest toys. AE will not be killed by a "throw-in app" unless Apple buys Adobe and kills it.

The Red Giant Software link I posted above will introduce you to a ton of extremely versatile plug-ins...and the installers include versions for Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, AE 8, Motion, and Avid AVX that you can install all at once on the same machine. Most other plug-ins make $$$ for each version.

I personally use Motion as a big "plug-in" for AE CS3...using emitters to render organic FX with Alpha Channels that I use in AE composites. Motion rocks...but AE killer? Not in my opinion.

FWIW...if you buy anything from Red Giant, tell Micah that Joey from EA sent you (I am on their BETA Test Team) thumbs down

June 30, 2008 08:00PM
Thanks for the welcome! It is much appreciated.

First off, I have and still do for the most part cut promotional stuff, BTS, trailers, some features and docs.

Like Shane, I know the straight cut and the dissolve are the majority of what I use when I cut, I am so old school on editing I spliced and grease penciled enough 16mm to know having a dissolve back then was a real big deal. I have cut using CMX and thought nothing was more enjoyable than A/B roll until Non-linear in the early 90's started a revolution. Anyway, I subscribe to the theory "less is more" when it comes to using effects.

I am just wondering if something like Boris is worthwhile, or FX factory/Noise Industy stuff is used by people or if there is something out there that is under the radar. I know I can test drive most of the plug ins, but I would play around so much I might start buying them left and right thus becoming penniless but rich in 3rd party programs.

By the way, I attended one of the LAFCPUG meetings in May and was very impressed.
Hats off to all the guys that organize this whole thing. I had my fingers crossed, hoping I won a keyboard shortcut chart during the raffle, but sadly I did not. I will get over it. HAHA

Thanks again guys.
June 30, 2008 08:36PM
My basic staple lately is the Big Box o' Tricks by nattress.com. I use them more than anything...because they have the effects I used to do with the PAINT effect in Avid. Blur dissolves and glow dissolves. Plus look at all the built in stuff...there are some really neat ones in there.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
June 30, 2008 08:42PM
A couple of other things

1. I've found 6.0.1 to be buggy with ProRes / HDV export, and a couple of other people have mentioned to me that it's not the best version. If I were you I would update - it's free, over the internet using System Preferences > Software Update (apologies for the nose-leading if you knew that)

2. We have a FAQ Wiki which you might like to check out, and it's got a 'starter' list of plug-ins. Find it here : Where can I get Plug-ins for FCP?

3. The plug-ins that I generally use the most these days tend to be in the 'repair' realm, like black recovery, or the 'colour' realm, like Nattress and The Grading Sweet. Colorista is also amazing.

4. If you're doing docos, you might want to check out getting some Motion templates which can be used inside FCP for things like still animation. Some of the packs starting to come out have great fast solutions for 'I have to dump seventeen photos onscreen and make it engaging'

June 30, 2008 09:03PM
CMX...god...the hair just stood up on my arms. Welcome To The Revolution, Barry!!! You will find everything you need for Final Cut Pro in here. If someone doesn't know something, someone else jumps in with the answer.

Mike Horton is the Grand Pubah CEO Master Blaster Super All-Powerful Being that runs this ship...and organizes the Supermeets & such. Nice guy. World famous Actor. He's got it goin' on. It's his world...we're all just tryin' to get a nut grinning smiley

Seriously, I love it when an Avid journeyman joins the family. I just started a gig 3 months ago and I have been shackled to a PC Avid Adrenaline HD (* gag * ...I just threw up a little). Only reason I took it was they promised me the whole facility was going Mac / FCP after the busy cycle (August 08) and they want me to help with the transition grinning smiley Well...that...and it's EA. Nuff said.

C-ya 'round.

July 01, 2008 02:56AM
No, don't use the FX Factory or Core Melt or any of that. Those are MY Plug-ins! the finger smiley

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
July 01, 2008 12:02PM
Gotta be quick before i head off... There are specific freebies out there that I always pull into any suite i'm working in before the paid sets come in. Namely: Facelight, lyric's shadows and highlights, the technicolor strip filters (can't remember where they are, though they tend not to work with some plug ins), there's also a flashframe transition for the flashes... essential.

I'll drop the links when I have the time probably tomorrow.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 01, 2008 12:05PM
Technicolor plugins are here:

[pistolerapost.com]

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 01, 2008 12:11PM
Sorry if there is any overlap with previous posts... in no particular order:

[www.digiconform.com]
[www.mattias.nu]
[www.chesa.com]
[www.digitalrebellion.com]
[web.mac.com]
[straylight.tv]
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
[www.nattress.com]
[www.joesfilters.com]
[www.trapcode.com]

There are loads more that I use - we will have to arrange all these links onto the wiki

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 01, 2008 12:21PM
BTW...Red Giant Software handles all sales for Trapcode plug-ins:

[www.redgiantsoftware.com]

July 01, 2008 12:45PM
They are in the WIKI under effects

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 01, 2008 01:15PM
Wow! You guys are very cool. I owe lots of drinks at the bar now.
July 01, 2008 02:14PM
...and if you want to visit the plug-in UNIVERSE, you can find just about everything you need for everything HERE:

[toolfarm.stores.yahoo.net]

I'll have a shot of Cuervo Gold with lime & salt & a Killians Red chaser smileys with beer

July 02, 2008 08:48AM
Wow! You guys are fast! Lol. Okay, if you want to READ about the free plug-ins, here's a little article that can keep you engaged for a bit.

[library.creativecow.net]

Oh yea, another cool freebie plug-in that I use from time to time, is CHV's silk and fog filter..

[www.chv-plugins.com]

Basically, I think everything's covered, then you can start deciding on what to buy. Twitter would be useful for slo mo, as fcp's frame blending pretty much makes mocha out of shots.... You can try out slow mo-ing by sending the clip to Motion and using optical flow. Here's how:

alexis van hurkman
Send All Clips With Speed Effects to Motion , and Export Using Optical Flow Processing as Self-Contained QuickTime Files (FCP Studio 2 Only)
Rendering slow motion speed effects works a little differently. If you have Final Cut Studio 2, you have the option of rendering clips with linear or variable speed effects with much higher quality by sending all such clips to Motion to render using Motion's adaptive image analysis to create smooth slow motion. This is highly recommended, as it's the easiest way to create beautifully smooth slow motion effects, while you avoid problems in Color at the same time. Here's a good workflow:

1. Send each clip that uses a speed effect in your Final Cut Pro timeline to Motion.
2. Once Motion opens, select the clip and open the Inspector.
3. Open the Timing parameter group, and set the Frame Blending pop-up menu to Optical Flow.
4. Choose File > Export, and click the Options button next to the Export pop-up menu.
5. When the Export Options window appears, choose either the ProRes or Uncompressed codecs (exporting using the default Animation codec is not recommended), and click OK.
6. Choose Video from the Include pop-up menu (you don't want Video and Audio), then choose a name and location for the new media file, and click Export.
7. When Motion finishes rendering, reimport the new QuickTime movie back into your project. It's always helpful to create a new bin in which to store all of your prerendered clips.
8. Lastly, overwrite edit the new prerendered clip to take the place of the .motn project file that's currently in your project's timeline.

He also has a pretty good book out under the Apple Pro Training Series called The Encyclopedia of Color Correction.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 02, 2008 10:34AM
>Motion is an AE Killer

Haha. Nono... Motion will never kill AE, Soundtrack Pro won't kill Logic/ProTools and Preview won't kill Photoshop. They are great apps though- Motion templates on the fly, Soundtrack can salvage pretty crazy situations. Although I don't see anyone buying FCS just for any one of the studio apps alone (with the exception of FCP), but together, they add incredibly powerful dimensions to your production. The studio apps, is one of my main reasons why i like using Final Cut- they're free so they're available and although many editors around me rarely use them to their full potential, they're so incredibly powerful. I've even scraped through with last minute sound design and music from the loops and sound fx in STKpro when the music libraries don't offer a good solution, and audio post production, synths and sound design are out of the budget, animated text when the gfx artists is overbooked... There's pretty much powerful versatility which is often overlooked.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 02, 2008 12:04PM
I can't believe we don't have FX Factory in the list on the Wiki. Got to add that.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 02, 2008 02:43PM
I have made a choice for my first addition to my Plug in folder and the winner is......

FX Factory.

I have toyed around and it offers a great bang for the buck.

Now on to the second addition. This can become very addicting.

You guys are a great help.
July 02, 2008 09:33PM
Barry,

It's best to keep credit cards away from geeks like us tongue sticking out smiley

July 02, 2008 09:41PM
Joey,

This can be addicting. I feel the need for a support group!
July 02, 2008 09:53PM
Get CGM, CHV, Genarts and Boris and then watch FCP load all of them. That's fun. I think Kevin Monahan has a million plug-ins. takes a day for FCP to load.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 03, 2008 03:58AM
>This can be addicting. I feel the need for a support group!

And the worst thing about all the plug ins, is that you always end up using them sparingly...

www.strypesinpost.com
July 03, 2008 12:36PM
I hear ya..but when you don't have one you feel empty and hopeless.
July 03, 2008 01:41PM

And the worst thing about all the plug ins, is that you always end up using them sparingly...

But that ONE plug-in in each set that rocks your world justifies the purchase. Nobody uses all the plug-ins in every set. Well...not true...I use all the plug-ins in the Magic Bullet Suite quite often.

July 04, 2008 11:57AM
>But that ONE plug-in in each set that rocks your world justifies the purchase.

True, true...

>I hear ya..but when you don't have one you feel empty and hopeless.

Yes. The star wars titles is a must keep, but I haven't used it on any projects.. eye rolling smiley

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics