OT: DEREK MOK in person!

Posted by Shane Ross 
OT: DEREK MOK in person!
July 23, 2008 11:08PM
Here I am at the LAFCPUG meeting, and sitting at the desk in the front of the room...talking...is Derek Mok. The ONLY other LAFCPUG moderator who lives in LA, and this is the first time I meet the guy.

So here he is, giving a CREATIVE talk (a rare thing at these meetings) about the craft of editing. I'll post later on how well he does.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: OT: DEREK MOK in person!
July 23, 2008 11:32PM
Go Derek, go Derek, go Derek, go Derek.

We so need streaming podcasts of these meets.

July 24, 2008 02:53AM
Derek was quite wonderful. These sorts of talks need hours rather than minutes but alas we only had minutes to discuss. Lots of good points were made and the audience was enthusiastic. It was great to see Derek in person and he got everyone talking.

We all went out for pizza after as we always so and Shane and Derek got to know one another.

Now we just need everyone else to come to LA to meet and greet. It's a lot of fun.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 24, 2008 06:07AM
>We so need streaming podcasts of these meets.

I second that!

www.strypesinpost.com
July 24, 2008 09:00AM

>We so need streaming podcasts of these meets.

I second that!

Yep. Skype conference or something. Would love to sit in remotely on these meetings. Technology allows this so let's do it. I bet Bennie could set something up...he introduced me to Skype and now I talk to him in the UK from Orlando, Florida from time to time.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 24, 2008 09:39AM
So the holographic person projector worked then...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 24, 2008 09:41AM
Mike H. and the others who are going to Amsterdam should tape their summit with Ben King!

www.derekmok.com
July 24, 2008 12:17PM
First off, he did great. Showed a first VERY rough cut of a film, then the final. Taking 8 min and making it 3. The first cut was absolutely horrid and as Derek said, "a POS." But this is par for the course for rough cuts. They are just your first impression...and you tend to follow the script and not pay too much attention to small details as you rush to get the cut done so that you can watch it and see what needs work. Great example. Because the final piece, that won the Gold medal for student academy awards...was great.

Another thing that impressed me was that Derek wore the same green camo visor you see in his picture. JUST so we'd recognize him I suppose. We had a great chat at pizza, with Gino Andrews and Kevin Monahan...who tends to be a little loud.

Michael...you have a ROOM FULL of editors there...there is NO excuse for not getting the meetings edited and encoded and put up somewhere. Phil is a busy guy now...he can't be bothered to be relegated to the lowly task of editing a meeting. I even offered...more than once. C'mon...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 24, 2008 02:56PM
In a perfect world it's easy, but getting these things out is hard. In the case of Derek's demo I doubt we could show it. We'd need releases from the actors or director and that is a time consuming thing.

Just producing these meetings monthly is pretty difficult. Taping them and getting them out to the world really needs to be handled by a committed team of individuals as I just don't have the time. Philip can only do it when he has the time to do it and right now he's pretty slammed with other stuff. Thus the reason we are so far behind. Plus, not many people buy these things so there is not a lot of incentive to produce them.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 24, 2008 03:20PM
ep. Skype conference or something. Would love to sit in remotely on these meetings. Technology allows this so let's do it.

Doesn't work and VERY expensive. Fine if a dozen people look in but huge dollars if thousands look in.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 24, 2008 03:23PM
Then edit & post podcasts for iphones / iPods or some fricken thing tongue sticking out smiley This is not my realm. There's got to be some way to do this. C'mon, man...I am dying to see Derek live in that hat.

July 24, 2008 03:26PM
He was very eloquent and funny too.

Really? Posting the meeting online would incur a cost? Sheesh...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 24, 2008 03:30PM
Live Streaming would incur a cost. A big one.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 24, 2008 03:32PM
Well, that...yeah...

If you get them edited, then you can post them and charge a fee to view them. We have to pay $5 to get in...so about $2 to view it? Or will that incur server fees and crap?

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 24, 2008 03:46PM
We already do that.

To access the feed and buy in iTunes:

Create an account at [www.opentvnetwork.com] - We will give you $5 credit for opening the account

or

Go to [www.lafcpug.org] and click on the gold and black klickTab icon near the top of the page. Choose iTunes or Miro for the feed and then browse and buy in iTunes.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 24, 2008 06:59PM
Mods have to pay? No perks?

Sheeeeesh...capitalism the finger smiley

July 24, 2008 11:14PM
I shoot the video and I have to Pay.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
July 24, 2008 11:15PM
Hey, you get free pizza!

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 24, 2008 11:31PM

I shoot the video and I have to Pay.

Yeah...free Pizza = P-E-R-K!

July 25, 2008 12:23AM
Hello. I'm Shane. I'm a Moderator and I pay to get into meetings. It has been one day since my last meeting. And the best pizza on the face of the west coast.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 25, 2008 11:29AM
Yes I get free pizza and beer or wine and I am very grateful Thanks to sponsors. I also get raffle tickets and often win a prize.

It might be possible since we record direct to disk to record sound only as well from the camera and
and post it as a pod cast quite rapidly I'll have to check it out.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
July 25, 2008 12:59PM
I have always thought that we needed some video on this site. It doesn't have to stream. I would be happy if they were filmed then rough edited. Then we could start a video page that could include shorts by members, v-torials, trick and tip videos.

We have a very active site and a lot of us have already posted videos to show solutions and problems. Those could be posted. Most of us have web storage so we could hold the file on our sites to save bwidth.

Heck, mike if we could develop some type of constantly growing video wiki, it could be worth 10 bucks a month or more. Therefor generating rev. for events and other expansions. It could also pay for a 3tb server to hold it. i would pay for that.

It could have several different techniques to do one thing.:
10-50 ways of creating a lower third. even with external apps like AE or maya.
Video mathematics - including aspects / compression / disc space / organization
Payed downloads ($3 - $300~) of extensive tutorials or techniques ( like you would buy a song on itune

lots of ways to do it. LAFCPUG needs a better budget for upgrades to everything.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
July 25, 2008 02:18PM
But then this site would be like a dozen others...the Cow and KenStone.net have plenty of that stuff. Nah...the meetings are full of gold that other people should be able to see. So I guess it is only up to these guys to get them edited...because they are available on iTunes.

Man...has this topic gone astray. What happen to talking about Derek?

Yo, Derek, do you wear that visor ALL of the time?

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 25, 2008 02:33PM
Did you bring your Derek Mok clickable Sharpie to autograph babys' foreheads & groupies' bottoms?

July 25, 2008 02:51PM
> Yo, Derek, do you wear that visor ALL of the time?

Hardly ever, actually. I usually only wear it to keep my hair out of my face.

www.derekmok.com
July 25, 2008 04:42PM
There is this thing called hair cuts.

Damn Hippies.

grinning smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 25, 2008 04:55PM
Flowers, acid and bell bottoms are next.

www.derekmok.com
July 26, 2008 12:27PM
Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and Kevin Monahan...who tends to be a little
> loud.

I was describing being in the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake. With that story, and a little red wine, you get the full volume effect.

drinking smiley drinking smiley drinking smiley drinking smiley drinking smiley drinking smiley
July 27, 2008 03:05AM
There's free pizza and beer at these things???
July 27, 2008 05:59PM

There's free pizza and beer at these things???

Only for Dean. Listen to all his perks!! He's a Perk-O-Saurus!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics