Quicker way to sync clips

Posted by Francois-Michel 
Quicker way to sync clips
July 25, 2008 12:46AM
Hi everybody,
First, forgive me my english is not really good.

Im working right now on a project which is shot with 2 cams. They sync the cam together, with FREE-RUN time of day time-code. For each tape ( Tape cam A and tape Cam B ) i have to sync corresponding clips in the timeline than make multi-clips with them. I have about 30 to 40 clips per tape with clips that sometime are 2 or 3 seconds in length (worthless). The problem is that it make the job of syncing it really long.

Here is the way i do it ( There is probably a better way ) :

I take the first clip of the tape CAM A, take the time-code in note from the in point and in the timeline option (apple-0) i make the staring time-code of the timeline the same as the that clip ( with 10 seconds handle before ).

Than i place each ''good'' clips in its place on that timeline with the matching time-code. Than i do the same with the tape CAM B, than i make multi-clips.

HERE MY QUESTION :

Is there a way in FCP studio 2, when you set the time-code of the timeline, that when you put a clip in, FCP by taking the time-code of the clip, places it on the right place matching the TC of the clip with the TC of the timeline.

It would make my job so quicker since i wouldn't have to place clips one by one on the timeline.

Thanks guys.
Re: Quicker way to sync clips
July 25, 2008 01:25AM
> Is there a way in FCP studio 2, when you set the time-code of the timeline, that when you put a
> clip in, FCP by taking the time-code of the clip, places it on the right place matching the TC of the
> clip with the TC of the timeline.

No, but with timeline timecode matching the clip, going to the timecode is as simple as entering the number on the number pad. Select the timeline (but make sure no clips are selected), enter the timecode number to position the playhead there, then Overwrite Edit the new clip in. And kick the camera operator's butt for starting and stopping recording so often. You simply do not do that with time-of-day timecode; it all but nullifies the advantages of that method.

www.derekmok.com
July 25, 2008 02:24AM
Thx man,
Well thats the method i use. Take the time-code in point of the clip, place the playhead there on the timeline and put the clip in. But as you figure with between 30 and 40 clips per tape its quit a long process.

Thx again.

Francois-Michel

EDITED: I forgot to say how im impressed by the time the answer was put in....quick !!!
July 25, 2008 10:49AM
Can't you select a bunch of clips in the browser and create a Multiclip? I thought that was what multicam editing was about. Especially if they were shot as TimeOFDay timecode?
July 25, 2008 10:44PM
if you have to do a lot of this sort of number crunching,
i'd recommend using a macro application like QuicKeys.
you could program what you need to do very easily.

so you;d just hit one button, and the clips would be cut into place
with a bit of creativity, you could probably devise a method that would do all the clips in one go.

QuicKeys is the one i use,
but there are other macro apps out there,
and you might even be able to use Apple's "Automator" for this, too.
July 26, 2008 02:42AM
but yeah, John is right.

select ALL the clips in the bin,
Create Multiclip SEQUENCE.

they will all sort themselves out in a sequence,
then you can get rid of the little ones.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics