How do I Apply Color Correction to Master Clips Versus Clips in a Sequence

Posted by Ron Priest 
How do I Apply Color Correction to Master Clips Versus Clips in a Sequence
July 25, 2008 12:25PM
I've found documentation on the subject titled: "Applying a Filter to a Clip" in Part II page 218 of the printed manual, or in the FCP user manual.pdf file page 1003. The only problem, it tells you how to add a filter to a clip in the sequence, and talks about the difference from adding a filter to a master clip in the browser versus adding a filter to a clip in a sequence. However it doesn't tell you how to add a filter to a master clip.

Well, what I'm wanting to do is color correct a master clip before I use it as a source clip for a multi-cam edit. I know how to do it, I simply open the master clip into the viewer and drag the Color Corrector 3 way filter onto the clip in the viewer. I can then go into the parameters of the filter and adjust them to whatever settings I want. However, how can I change my parameters and view the changes to the clip and or view the scopes and at the same time without having to switch back and forth between filter and video tabs? Even doing that, I can't view the scopes at the same time. What am I doing wrong? Finally, Im wondering why the manual doesn't give any more information then it does on the procedure of adding filters to master clips. Am I NOT looking in the right place?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Re: How do I Apply Color Correction to Master Clips Versus Clips in a Sequence
July 25, 2008 02:57PM
> However, how can I change my parameters and view the changes to the clip and or view the
> scopes and at the same time without having to switch back and forth between filter and video
> tabs?

Drag the Video tab out of the Viewer window to make it standalone, then adjust the filters in the original Viewer window. Change the "View:" option in the scopes Tool Bench window to "Viewer".

www.derekmok.com
July 25, 2008 03:39PM
Hi Derek

That did it for me, Thank You!

Along that same line, would you know I could paste a filter attribute (color correction filter) to a master clip?
July 25, 2008 03:47PM
Paste Attributes doesn't work in the Browser, and nor does dragging and dropping filters . So you'll need to put the master clips into a timeline, apply the filters (Copy/Paste Attributes, or drag and drop), then drag those clips back into a new bin in the Browser and use those as master clips.

www.derekmok.com
July 25, 2008 03:57PM
Oh, ok I understand. Thanks again Derek.
July 25, 2008 04:15PM
Derek is King!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics