Annoying problem when importing sound files. Repeat posting from a month or so ago

Posted by harry323 
Annoying problem when importing sound files. Repeat posting from a month or so ago
July 27, 2008 10:32PM
I posted this about a month ago and, despite a couple of responses, I have not managed to solve the problem which is extremely irritating.

Here goes with repeat post.
-----------

For a couple of months now whenever I drag any sound file from any source to the timeline, the two (say) stereo tracks do not "land" on adjacent tracks but about 10 tracks apart - even if they are "linked" as a stereo pair.

This means that I have to unlink them, move one of them up or down by several tracks, and then re-link them. What a pain, right?

This is very odd. I hate this.

I've run Disk Warrior, Disk Utility, Trashed Prefs, Reinstalled FCP and left a message for the tooth fairy, all to no avail.

Any idea as to what is causing this bizarre effect?

Have I, unknowingly, reset some importing parameter?

It's gotta be an FCP internal thing, because I have this effect whether I am dragging a file from iTunes or absolutely anywhere on any drive. I Drag sound file into browser first, like a good boy, and hen drag to timeline and ... there it is -- about 10 tracks apart.

Harry.

FCS 6.0.3. Mac Octo. Latest System/QT etc. Nothing unusual running on computer. Plenty of drive space. System generally healthy. Me: Ancient, smelly, divorced twice, two dogs.
Re: Annoying problem when importing sound files. Repeat posting from a month or so ago
July 27, 2008 10:40PM
i thought this was sorted.

it's probably just your TARGET tracks on your timeline,
although trashing prefs would have fixed that.

nevertheless, lets start a the beginning.
open a sound file into the viewer,
then check what your A1 & A2 target tracks are.

you want them on 1+2,
or any adjacent set of tracks will work, really, if you're dragging to the timeline.

nick
Re: Annoying problem when importing sound files. Repeat posting from a month or so ago
July 27, 2008 10:41PM
I'll repeat what I wrote last time: Ninety-nine times out of 100 your problem is caused by Source/Destination buttons being misplaced. You never got back to me or Nick Meyers about that:

[www.lafcpug.org]

Check that and rule it out first before you repost.

www.derekmok.com
Thanks for the replies.

The target settings are the buttons on the left - the track numbers, correct?

Well, I never had to mess around setting up destinations before this trouble occurred. I just dragged and - plop - in the tracks went next to each other.

I think it's best that I post a screen shot of my timeline with an imported/"dragged-in" track in the wrong place tomorrow.

I know I'm a dolt, an that's why I was kinda ashamed to get back to you to say I still hadn't sorted it out. But now I just can't stand it any more.

Will post timeline screenshot tomorrow.

Is there any other page I should screen-shoot for you to examine?

Many many thanks, as usual, for your time and patience.

Harry
July 27, 2008 11:04PM
track numbers,
yes

"I think it's best that I post a screen shot of my timeline with an imported/"dragged-in" track in the wrong place tomorrow."

no need for that.
i believe you! plus i've seen it before.
that's why i think it's a target tracks issue.

just open an audio clip in the viewer,
and tell us how your targeting is set up.

nick
Thanks.

I will do that tomorrow when I surface.

My thanks agin for your patient help.

Harry.
July 28, 2008 07:55AM
>I've run Disk Warrior, Disk Utility, Trashed Prefs, Reinstalled FCP and left a message for
>the tooth fairy, all to no avail.

Wow. That's a lot of stuff you did for this...

The silver buttons on the panel work like a patch bay, wherever they're plugged into, that's where the footage will land when you hit an insert or an overwrite edit. What I usually do, to hit F7 followed by the target track number for audio channel 1, and F8, followed by the target track number for audio channel 2. (so it's F7 1 for audio track one going to track 1 in the timeline and so forth).

www.strypesinpost.com
Assuming linking is enabled, they are staying linked even though separated by ten tracks? Yeah, it's your clip targeting. Gotta be.

Somebody else use your machine?

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Cycle bin views with Shift - H !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com

OK guys, I'm really trying here.

I hope that the images of my viewer and of the left side of the timeline will magically appear via photobucket.

If you can see them, maybe you can comment on how I should reset my damn targeting.

Best, and sorry for my hopeless illiteracy.

Harry
Wow! It worked, sort of.

H.
I think the intent was that you show the left side of your timeline, since that's where targeting is controlled.

But yes, it worked!

Scott
July 29, 2008 04:13PM
You left out the img tags and that is why 2nd pict did not appear. I fixed so all is good. Use the preview button before you hit post and then you can check for mistakes.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Thanks, Michael; and sorry.

Maybe Nick, Derek, Loren and Strypes can help me pinpoint this maddening trouble and fix it.

Harry
July 29, 2008 09:28PM
ok, so now reset the audio track targets.

click on a1,
and option click on a2.

if that doesn't work,
right or control click on or near one of the lock icons in the panel,
and chose "reset panel"

nick
Thanks. Will do tomorrow.

Best

Harry
July 30, 2008 07:43AM
Or hit this (it's one of my fav shortcut systems). After you load a stereo clip into the viewer, hit F7 followed by 1, F8 followed by 2.

F6 affects the Video patching, F7 affects Audio track 1, and F8 affects Audio track 2. Holding shift while hitting any of these, "unpatches" the video/audio tracks of whatever you choose.

www.strypesinpost.com
FANTASIC!!!!!

"Reset panel" did it.

I am now going to put you all in my will which is heftily laden with Bear Stearns securities.

MANY MANY thanks to all the above.

This has been driving me insane for months.

I love you all xxxxxxxx

and I love LAFCPUG which is THE BEST.

Harry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics