Smallest Mac Book Pro

Posted by Jack Lindauer 
Smallest Mac Book Pro
July 28, 2008 05:59AM
Hi all --

Will the smallest Mac Book Pro (15-inch, 2.4 GHz) support Final Cut Studio 2?

If so, I will get 4 gigs of ram (instead of the standard 2 gigs), and the faster 7200 RPM drive (instead of the standard 5400 RPM drive).

Anything else? Any pros or cons?

Thanks --

Jack Lindauer
Re: Smallest Mac Book Pro
July 28, 2008 06:13AM
Yes. 5400rpm is sufficient on a laptop drive.
July 28, 2008 07:43AM
I've cut a feature and several HD Music videos on the 15" MBP 2.3GHz with 2GB so yes you will be fine with the 2.4 and 4GB thumbs down

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 28, 2008 10:24AM
Only the 15.4" MBP is a little shy on screen real estate.

I looked at that and then decided on a 17" MBP with higher resolution. You can attach the 15" to a 23" Cinema Display and use it that way.
July 28, 2008 12:44PM
Yeah but if you travel that 17 inch MB will become your worst enemy. Ever tried to open one in coach? Forget it.

I'd kill for a 12 inch MB Pro. You can always attach another monitor to it when in office.

I think Bare Feats did a shoot out between the 7200 laptop drives and the 5400 and quite honestly there was NOT that much difference. Not enough to make you crazy anyway.

Just plug in an external raid anyway. The system drive doesn't have a lot to do with video editing.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 28, 2008 01:00PM
Michael,

I do agree that it is BIGGER, but I use a backpack style case fro the 17" and I can cary it through an airport with luggage and all.

Also the 15.4" is 14.1" x 9.6" at 1440x900 screen resolution while the 17" is 15.4" x 10.4 at 1680x1050. Thats about 1.3" x .8" larger for the 17".

For me, that difference is definitely worth it.
July 28, 2008 02:14PM
Mike,

How in the heck can you work FCP on a 12 inch screen? What is the resolution on that - 1280 x 800 on a 12 inch screen? The 17" with the Hi Res screen has the real estate of a full sized 24 inch monitor (1920 x 1200). Screw coach...I'll feed the kid in front of me some chocolate to keep his seat forward. It's not THAT bad.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 28, 2008 02:23PM
I said I'd kill for a 12"MB Pro. There is no such thing as a 12" MB Pro. So who knows what the specs would be. And besides you can attach a 30 inch monitor to a 15inch MB Pro when at office. I'm fine with whatever on the road. You just make do with what you got anyway. Back in the office it's another thing.

And coach is bad for a 15inch mac, seat back or not. And rarely does the person in front keep his/her seat up. I'd try chocolates, but usually its a guy with a shaved head, tattoos and boots in front of me.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 28, 2008 04:18PM
I use FCS2 on my POWERBOOK...and it works fine. So that should say something.

They used to make a 12" MacBook Pro. A producer I know has one.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 28, 2008 06:48PM
[How in the heck can you work FCP on a 12 inch screen? ]

You get these headmounted magnifier goggles, you know? And if they don't arrest you for being Buffalo Bill, cut away.

- Loren
Photo scan rates demystified!
ScanGuide? Pro compact reference now at
www.neotrondesign.com
July 29, 2008 05:21AM
OK on the smaller drive (5400 RPM) being fast enough. I will be using an external RAID system for files and storage, and the internal for the OS and FCS2.

The smallest MacBook Pro comes with 2 gigs of RAM. Is that enough for Final Cut Studio 2, or should I upgrade to 4 gigs?

Thanks --
Jack Lindauer
July 29, 2008 05:33AM
As I mentioned previously I have a 15" with 2GBs and its fine even for HD work - however I would advocate getting 4GBs especially if you use Motion or want to run several apps in the FCS at once.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 29, 2008 05:19PM
Ben --

Thanks. I will be running FCP and Soundtrack Pro at the same time, so will need/get the 4 gigs of RAM.

Is the standard 5400 RPM internal drive still fast enough when running two apps at the same?

Jack Lindauer
July 29, 2008 06:23PM
Get an external HDD even if its a tiny USB2 self powered HDD for work and Ideally a FireWire 400 or better still FW800 one cus you really don't want to be telling anyone on here how you are saving your work to the system HDD!!!

Seriously its a big nono round these parts!

The 7200 is great but you may want to get the largest internal HDD you can get as when you have all the templates for FCS2 installed there isn't much space left!

July 30, 2008 02:03AM
I will be using an external RAID system for files and storage, and the internal drive for the OS and FCS2.

Jack Lindauer
July 30, 2008 07:21AM
Ah thats cool then... you might be safe from the vicious jaws of the LAFCPUG sharks who recently ate up one of the older members of the forum who should have known better than to use his system HDD for video media storage.

winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics