"COLOR" VS DA VINCI

Posted by stephen Auerbach 
"COLOR" VS DA VINCI
July 28, 2008 03:35PM
Good Day

I'm finished with a project and moving into the color correction phase. I've worked with Da Vinci in the past - however, I've been recommended to work with a post house that uses 'color,' not Da Vinci.

How do the two systems compare in terms of quality - issues of workflow are of no concern at the moment, I am just unclear about quality.

Can I assume that because Da Vinci is a far more expensive system that the results will be far better?

Thanks
Re: "COLOR" VS DA VINCI
July 28, 2008 03:38PM
The main difference would be real time performance. Actual colour correction is probably identical in "quality".

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
July 28, 2008 03:40PM
Unless of course you don't have that talent.

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 28, 2008 03:44PM
Thanks for the quick replies...
any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated
SA
July 28, 2008 03:48PM
I'm curious about this recommendation you referred to. In what context did somebody say you use go to a colorist who uses Color as opposed to one who uses a da Vinci?

Color isn't precisely new; it's Apple's rebranded version of Final Touch. So colorists who are familiar with Color probably aren't exactly rare. But da Vinci has been the de facto standard for so long that I think you're more likely to find a good colorist who uses that system than one who uses Final Touch or Color.
July 28, 2008 04:07PM
Quality is identical. COLOR used to be Final Touch, that cost upwards of $25,000...not counting hardware. But don't base quality of the final based on cost. Just because something costs more, doesn't mean it's better. But as Michael said, it is the talent behind it, not just the machinery. But given the same operator on both, then you will get identical results.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 29, 2008 05:38AM
A friend of mine is doing a fair bit of grading with Color these days (he was grading with Final Touch previously)
He told me this:

Color (or FT, or some similar software based solution) will take TWICE as long,
but cost ONE QUARTER the price.

i was recently in a you-beaut BASELIGHT suite
[www.filmlight.ltd.uk]
it was file-based system like Color, but with the grunt of a DaVince,
meaning that it was super responsive, and there was almost NO time rendering.

i wound up there because i knew and trusted the colourist.
they were road testing it, so it was fast, cheap AND good, lucky me!

it was a real cross between the old and the new
we delivered one huge Quicktime file, plus an EDL, and it entered all the "notches" for the grades.
and we got a huge quicktime back.

i should know this, but can Color do that?

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics