VHS to Mini DV to FCP6

Posted by PhillyFilmmaker 
VHS to Mini DV to FCP6
August 02, 2008 10:47PM
Here's another project I'm working on.

I'm converting some old VHS tapes to Mini DV and then importing the Mini DV's to FCP6 so that I can make movie files and put then to dvd. I guess I want to make sure I'm doing this the right way.

I'm copying from VHS to Mini DV.
Then capturing from Mini DV into FCP6.
Then I add some titles, lately I've been using the DeInterlace filter because the picture has been looking kind of choppy.
Then I export to a movie file.
Then I use iDVD and make a dvd.

Any suggestions or am I doing it right?
Thanks!!!
Re: VHS to Mini DV to FCP6
August 02, 2008 11:45PM
It all sounds fine, except for the 'choppiness'. That could be an incorrect timeline setting. Very hard to tell without being able to see the video. I guess if de-interlacing works and the end result looks fine when played on a DVD player on a TV, then it a bit of a moot point.

If you wanted to speed up your workflow, you could possibly attach your VHS to your DV deck and use E to E or EE to pass the video right into FCP. That means you don't have to do the step where you transfer to mini DV. If you weren't adding titles, you could even go right from the VHS player to a DVD recorder, given the right inputs, outputs and cables.

August 02, 2008 11:55PM
How are you copying to MiniDV? With a deck or video transfer kit (using a camera) or?

--
Eric Harnden
Quintessential Studios
---------------------------------
[wordpress.quintessentialstudios.net]
[twitter.com]
August 03, 2008 12:24AM
VHS to Mini DV:

I'm recording to MiniDV with a video camera.
VCR to dv video camera.
August 03, 2008 12:42AM
Does the camera have the ability to do EE or E to E? If so, you could halve the time it takes by knocking out the dub to mini dv section.

Connect the VHS outputs to the inputs of the camera, then connect the camera to the mac via firewire, set the camera to do EE (this means the signal is being passed right through the camera, not captured in the camera) Then open log and capture and set the capture settings to 'Non-controllable device'.

Press play on the VHS and you should see the signal coming into the capture window. Hit capture now. Hit escape to finish.

August 03, 2008 12:46AM
Actually I transfer to mini dv so that I dont have to use the vhs tapes too much.
I don't have too much external drive space so if I have to go back to tape, I can just use the mini dv's.
August 03, 2008 11:37AM
I like the idea of having MiniDV backups of the VHS tapes so that he can recapture with TC.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 03, 2008 12:10PM
Yup, my sentiments exactly; you're doing it the right way, not the fast way.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Cycle bin views with Shift - H !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics