Smoothcam oddness

Posted by jwilliam 
Smoothcam oddness
August 08, 2008 10:48AM
I have a lockdown shot that still floats a little. To fix it, I apply the "smooth cam" filter, which has done some lovely work for me in the past. Only this time, I apply "smooth cam" and FCP tells me it's going to take 9 hours to render. For 12 seconds of clip.

Something seems off about that... The source clip is just under 1 hour. Is FCP trying to calculate smooth-cam for the entire source clip? Is there a better option than smoothcam if I'm just looking to even out a little wobble from an unsteady tripod?
Re: Smoothcam oddness
August 08, 2008 10:55AM
FCP has to analyze the entire media file, not just the clip in the timeline. How long is the media file?
August 08, 2008 11:04AM
you've probably figured it out already,
but the best thing to do is to export the section you want to affect (plus a bit either side for good measure)
bring it back in and do the smooth-can thing to that.

nick
August 08, 2008 02:03PM
Yeah, what nick said
August 08, 2008 11:24PM
Good feature request, because Smoothcam analysis is robotic and brain dead.

Please just analyze my shot with handles, not my underlying one hour media file...

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Play from In to Out with Shift - \ (Backslash) !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
August 09, 2008 09:02AM
G stock warning #1 : export a self contained quicktime movie, NOT a reference movie, as once the original media is shifted, the reference movies are as good as junk.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 09, 2008 11:09AM
Thanks, all.

Adding that as a feature request is a good idea. I'll second that motion... Thank goodness for the all-night render. It wound up taking 10+ hours to render out, for what will probably be :25 seconds of screen time.

Sure, I could have exported & re-imported, but where's the fun in that?
August 10, 2008 12:37AM
well the cool thing is that now you can do instant smooth-cams to any shot on that reel!

all that smooth-cam data is kept in a file that lives along with the video file of that clip

i'm not sure exactly how that data gets re-accessed by future instances of the effect in FCP.
like whether you can simply apply the filter an any affiliate clips and it takes immediately,
or if you'd have to keep using the original clip as a seed.

interesting to find out...

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics