Why does FCP not capture clips in order?

Posted by rockshow 
Why does FCP not capture clips in order?
August 13, 2008 07:44PM
I noticed while capturing today that FCP jumps around while capturing, and doesn't capture clips from a tape from the beginning of the tape to the end. This seems incredibly unproductive! Is there a way to force it to capture the clips in order?
Re: Why does FCP not capture clips in order?
August 13, 2008 08:11PM
It captures clips in order based on timecode on my tapes. I don't know what you've done to your tapes to not make it do that. Are the timecode numbers sequential with the same reel number?
August 13, 2008 08:17PM
I can't say definitively that it captures my clips in timecode order, because most of the time when I'm batching I put in a tape and go get a cup of coffee or flirt with the cute assistant or something. But last week I batched just two clips from a timeline, from the same reel, and it captured them in timecode order. Might have been just a coincidence.

What order does your system capture clips in? Are you batching them from the browser or the timeline?

August 13, 2008 08:20PM
I'm capturing from XDCam. Re-Capturing, actually. And today I noticed the deck capturing clips in a random order.. !
August 13, 2008 08:27PM
I'm confused. Isn't XDCAM a tapeless format? SxS cards or random-access optical discs? If we were talking about tape, I could understand, because we'd be talking about wasting time cueing and unnecessary wear-and-tear on the mechanism. But if it's random-access, what does it matter what order the clips come in?

August 13, 2008 09:48PM
> I noticed while capturing today that FCP jumps around while capturing, and doesn't capture clips
> from a tape from the beginning of the tape to the end.

Did you have timecode breaks and/or resets? That would make Batch Capture go haywire.

www.derekmok.com
August 14, 2008 12:44AM

I put in a tape and go get a cup of coffee or flirt with the cute assistant or something

well he my be cute Jeff, but you wanna watch out for them us labor laws eye popping smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics