Can I achieve a better image?

Posted by Shanked 
Can I achieve a better image?
August 19, 2008 10:30AM
Hi,

I'm working on a 5 minute project that involves creating the "Classic Old Film" look. The "look" is acheivable but the image is degraded after I execute all the necessary steps, which are the following:

1) I made my color clips black-and-white by using a 3-way-Color Corrector Filter, and sliding the saturation to the left.
2) I added scratches and hairs by exporting the whole project to QuickTime Converter and using the QuickTime Converter Filters option to choose "Film Noise." I set the Settings to XDCAM EX 1080p 24frame 35 VBR.
3) I then brought the resulting QT file back into FCP 6.04 and cropped the aspect ratio to 1:1 with the cropping tool (and feathering the edges a bit).
4) I then superimposed a black matte on a new video track to create the flicker effect. The flicker effect comes from varying the opacity of this black matte (every four frames) from 0 to 17 to 0 over and over again.

Almost all footage is a locked off shot. The footage was shot on a Sony EX1 PMW at 1080p 24frames 35 VBR. The timeline reflects these settings.

The problem is that I get a low-grade image as a result. It's especially noticeable on areas of the frame where there is a constant color (like a white wall or an actresses cheek in a close up), where I can see large pixalation. Is there any way to maintain the "Classic Old Film" look and preserve the original image quality?

Thanks,
Shanked
Re: Can I achieve a better image?
August 19, 2008 11:02AM
try this

1. use a monochrome filter or a desat filter other than 3 or 2 way instead. and maybe some light contrast adjustments.

2. Nattress.com has a filter that will do that effect in fcp. I think its in the big box of tricks or the filn effects plug.
Going out of fcp for effect then back in is adding a compression to the footage you are loosing some res right there.

take a slug and add it to a higher vtrk drop the opacity to 30 then ad the blink filter to taste. this will create a flicker effect. you also use composite overlay or add i for get which to blend it.

and dont forget the vignette

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
August 19, 2008 11:20AM
just get the nattress film effects filters for $100 and all your problems will be solved.

there is a cheaper option here:
[www.riverrockstudios.com]
though its not as feature rich as nattress
August 19, 2008 11:28AM
CGM has an free aged film filter you can check out.
[www.cgm-online.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
August 19, 2008 11:35AM
are you rendering in FCP, and checking the image on an external monitor?

3 way CC should be just as good as the de-saturation filter.

some basic detective work:

at what stage does the artefacting occur?
when you ad scratches, but before you add your flicker overlay?

then it's something in the QT export.

after you add the flicker overlay?
then it's something in the FCP timeline (not rendered perhaps?)

nick
August 19, 2008 12:28PM
Thanks, everyone, for your helpful feedback!

I might just pony up the $100 and buy Nattress or grab CGM for free; but I thought I'd try the ready-to-eat method first and explore the degradation to see if it's insurmountable.

J.Corbette, I'm curently trying your workflow for the wash. I'll report back.

Meanwhile, to answer Nick's detective quetions:
1) I checked by outputting to DVD and trying it on analog and digital TV sets. Yes, the artifacts were true to the editing preview.
2) The artifacts show up to some degree with the first phase (the hairs). But they really show up with the flicker matte overlay.

Shanked
August 21, 2008 07:17PM
Buy Natress !!! Period. What can i say, how many time those plug-in fliped me upside dowm cuz they were so great....
August 21, 2008 07:47PM
Get Nattress Film Effects v2.5.2 for a real customizable film look with scratches / flicker / hair / dirt / gate weave. Can't beat it for $100.00 (btw...includes over 24 filters, and 6 transitions, and over 20 presets for that same $100.00):

[www.nattress.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 22, 2008 11:34AM
Nice plug in strypes! know of any other freebies plug ins?
August 22, 2008 07:42PM
And since your gonna pay 100.00$ for Natress Film Effect why not buy Natress Standards Conversion in the mean time.
August 23, 2008 10:19AM
>know of any other freebies plug ins?

It's in the FAQ. Load up on the free plugs that you need then decide on what you need to buy. The Nattress Film effects and BBOT are good sets to get, though. [www.lafcpug.org]

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics