Transitions only affecting one frame

Posted by Jamie Austad 
Transitions only affecting one frame
August 20, 2008 12:12AM
Hello, I'm pretty inexperienced with FCP and having some trouble with video transitions in my current project. Early in the editing process I added a cross-fade with no problem. Now I'm nearly finished with it and ready to add transitions all the way through, only each time I try to add one it only affects one frame after the cut instead of the default of straddling the cut with a number of frames. I can't seem to alter this in the viewer. Most of the clips are subclips with filters applied.

Did I screw up my default settings or something?

Jamie
Re: Transitions only affecting one frame
August 20, 2008 12:25AM
You probably don't have handles on the clips. For a one-second transition centered on the cut, each clip on either side would have to have at least 15 frames of footage beyond the cut point for the transition to work. I'm guessing you made your subclips too tight to the editing point you desired and now they're preventing you from adding transitions. No fix for this other than to add handles.

www.derekmok.com
August 20, 2008 12:48AM
Uuuuuhhhhhhnnnn.... I thought as long as there were handles on the original clips, I wouldn't need them on the subclips because the program could grab the media from the original capture files... No?

Major headache. I guess this is what's known as learning the hard way. The whole project is made up of these subclips. Is there a way to add handles to the subclips without starting all over with the originals?

Thanks!
August 20, 2008 01:56AM
you can "Remove Subclip Limits" which wont exactly add handles, rather jsut un-subclip them.

they still keep the subclip names you asigend, so it's probably ok.

select all subs you want to modify,
then Modify Menu > "Remove Subclip Limits"

nick
August 20, 2008 10:55AM
I'm afraid that Remove Subclip Limits doesn't solve Jamie's problem, mainly if subclips result from a DV Start/Stop Detect command... Then adjacent media added by the Remove Subclip Limits command does not belong to the same scene, but belong to the end of the previous scene or to the start of the following one. And this doesn't make clean transitions possible.

What I do in these cases is to manually (!!) move the IN and OUT points for each single subclip in order to leave some (at least 12-15) frames available for transitions, taken from the same scene.

Piero
August 20, 2008 10:58AM
> mainly if subclips result from a DV Start/Stop Detect command.

There was no mention in his posts that his subclips came from this method.

www.derekmok.com
August 20, 2008 11:32AM
"mainly if subclips result from a DV Start/Stop Detect command"

yes, i see your point.
i guess i was being optimistic smiling smiley
August 20, 2008 12:33PM
Thank you mok, Nick & Piero - this forum is such a great resource and I am most appreciative!

I did remove the subclip limits for all the subclips in the sequence, and in almost all cases this enabled me to add the transitions I wanted to. I did not use the DV Start/Stop Detect method of capture, but I still noticed that the transitions were not as smooth as I wanted them to be; they were sort of shaky/strobish. I think maybe this is because of having applied filters to the subclips, which might not then apply to any frames outside the in/out points once those points were removed?

I am working on compressing now for upload to Vimeo, and once it's up I think I'll mosey over to the Show & Tell forum for some feedback.

Jamie
August 20, 2008 12:49PM
"I think maybe this is because of having applied filters to the subclips, which might not then apply to any frames outside the in/out points once those points were removed?"

maybe... you may have been jumping from rendered to non-rendered during the transitions?

nick
August 20, 2008 01:48PM
That is possible, though I try to render as I go so I can see what's going on. I think it's looking pretty good... just one transition that has a glitch I couldn't fix without shifting the whole project out of sync with the soundtrack... Lesson: Handles are so important!!
August 20, 2008 08:15PM
Try doing a 'full' render. Under 'Sequence > Render All > make sure 'Full' is ticked. Then select the timeline and hit option r.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics