No audio on mpeg2 files

Posted by izbot 
No audio on mpeg2 files
August 22, 2008 01:20PM
Hello.

The Story:
I have received some mpeg2 files from a client on CD to be included in a larger video project. The files were shot on a 'Sony HDD consumer handheld'... this is all the information I have about the camera.

The Problem:
When I open the files in quicktime they play with audio and video just fine. However, when I import them into FCP they come in as one video track with no audio. Further, when I open the info on the clips they list 'no audio I NEED the audio.

Has anyone run into this before? If so, please note that it is likely that I will NOT be able to get my hands on the camera or the original files. Though, if that is the only solution, it would be helpful to know nonetheless.

Thanks to all in advance,
izbot
Re: No audio on mpeg2 files
August 22, 2008 01:47PM
> However, when I import them into FCP they come in as one video track with no audio.

The files are probably muxed. Re-export the files with MPEG Streamclip, and match the export clip settings to your timeline codec.

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
August 23, 2008 10:17AM
>I have received some mpeg2 files from a client on CD to be included in a larger video
>project.

You should reexport the mpeg2 files to an editing codec with Mpeg Streamclip. Mpeg2 is not recommended for editing.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 23, 2008 10:20AM
It's at moments like this that I take a step back and reflect on the amazing fact that Final Cut Pro can edit MPEG footage at all.

And then, in the next moment, I take a further step back and wonder why the heck it was necessary to make it possible to edit MPEG footage with Final Cut, when we all have to transcode to an intermediate format in order to get a decent workflow anyway.

It's kind of like the dog that sings. It's remarkable that it can sing at all, but that doesn't change the fact that it can't sing well.

August 23, 2008 10:38AM
>It's kind of like the dog that sings. It's remarkable that it can sing at all, but that doesn't
>change the fact that it can't sing well.

It's good that it can. Guys can insert heavily compressed formats into the timeline and have a quick look at whether certain shots work, or have a very rough video done for a presentation... So it's good, just like the fact that you have audio filters in an NLE. I hardly use them, but occasionally i throw it on just to get a rough feel how it would sound like. Not recommended as a post production workflow (you won't want that for a final video and you won't want to meet deadlines with exploding render times), but it's good that you have that versatility. But yes, like a dog that can sing, it's still a dog that won't win a singing competition.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 23, 2008 10:42AM
That's a fair point. Now that you mention it, there've been several times when I had a client in my room, and I needed to throw a shot into my timeline quickly to rough out a sequence, and all I had was an MPEG file. Drop it in, quick render, and the client's happy. Go back later and make it right.

At the same time, I think we've all known somebody who thought the fact that Final Cut lets you do this meant you should do this. Much confusion and frustration results.

I don't have any suggestions for improving the situation. For better or for worse, we live in a time when editors must understand things like GOPs in order to do their jobs.

August 23, 2008 11:41AM
>I think we've all known somebody who thought the fact that Final Cut lets you do this
>meant you should do this. Much confusion and frustration results.

Agreed too. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Tools are designed for a purpose. An NLE isn't supposed to muck around with heavily compressed delivery formats, nor would I trust it to accurately process them, and being able to work with them at all is remarkable. But NLEs also aren't required to train editors to prep up for an edit.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 25, 2008 10:12AM
Thanks to all. I have mpeg streamclip and will try that route today.

All the best,
Izbot
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics