Advice on wide angle converters

Posted by Cris McConkey 
Advice on wide angle converters
August 26, 2008 03:17PM
B&H Photo is selling for $300 a wide angle lens converter with 72 mm screw mount:

Impact DVP-WA70-72 72mm .7x Wide Angle Converter Lens

* Mfr# DVPWA7072
* B&H# IMDVPWA7072

Has anyone tested this unit? It only delivers a 20% wider angle according to the description on the bhphotovideo.com web site. If the optics really were good through most of the zoom range, I might go for it. I have a Panasoni AG-DVC200 that has repairs on it. I don't want to invest a lot in a wide angle converter or adapter, matte box, support rails etc.

For ~1,500 I could be set up with a good quality rail support and matte box from CaVision and a Precision Optics 0.7x Wide Angle Converter Lens with 75mm Clamp Mount (Zoom Through) from Century. I am sure that I would have good results this way, but the cost is approaching or exceeding the value of my current camera.

Does any one have the web address for 16x9?

I have a Canon YH13x7.5K12U lens. It has a 72mm thread and has an outer diameter of 75mm at the end.

I am most concerned with filming in tight spaces, e.g. the kitchen of a restaurant where I am really close but need wider shots.
Re: Advice on wide angle converters
August 26, 2008 06:56PM
16x9

They don't sell to the public, though.
Re: Advice on wide angle converters
August 26, 2008 11:42PM
OK, I finally found their web site: [16x9inc.com] and have sent the required form mail to get in touch with a distributor.

I've been thinking about this a lot. The wide angle converter is really critical to the documentary I wish to make, much of which will be inside restaurants and kitchens, where I will be too close to get a proper shot.

I'd like to be able to get a full line down the preparation area, but I don't want noticeable barrelling.

Perhaps if I need to economize, I should go wth a good optical quality adapter and set up my shots and not zoom at all. Its just that it is so tight and busy inside a kitchen that I'd like to ge able to 'gun' it and be flexible. So, of course I want to have that perfect zoom through converter.

--Cris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics