re: g-tech not detected.....

Posted by FindonChrispy 
re: g-tech not detected.....
August 28, 2008 04:56AM
Hi All,

Been checking the net and the wikki and maybe i'm rushing and not looking properly but here's my conundrum-

Been sent a g-tech drive to save some quicktimes to. but when the drive is switched on it doesn't appear in finder. I have switched cables, tried fw800 and fw400 connections to no avail. I use the same cables etc on an identical g-tech and it shows up no problems. Tried the problem drive on another machine- same problem.

I ran disk utility and its not showing up, but in system profiler its telling me there is an 'unknown device' listed with the right spec and details that it has to be the g-tech.

Does anyone have any ideas how i can get the drive recognised again? Or is it well and truly knackered and need a visit to the hard drive doctor?

Spec: intel quad 2.66, 5 gb ram, OS 10.4.11

Thanks in advance for any ideas/advice.

Chris.
Re: re: g-tech not detected.....
August 28, 2008 05:25AM
Disk Warrior is pretty amazing at resurrecting lost drives.
that'd be my first port of call.
it'd probably be what your drive doctor would use, too

nick
August 28, 2008 05:40AM
Cheers nick, with disk warrior will it work on the drive if its not in finder? I Haven't really used it before but i did wonder if it would work, i'll give it a whirl......

thanks for the reply....
August 28, 2008 06:29AM
Disk warrior is your last hope, like Luke Skywalker in ....well....last hope
August 28, 2008 07:07AM
Just as i thought...... ran and booted the machine from disk warrior and it detects every drive except the one in question so i guess thats my last hope out the window!

I'm wondering if it experienced some rough handling in transit that has knocked it for six, it was sent originally in its g-raid box but has come back to me in a rather improvised affair with thinner cardboard and a few bits of loose polystyrene thrown in.. Am wondering if it has taken a few knocks and something is not as it should be on the inside......

Thanks for all your replies so quickly too!
August 28, 2008 07:57AM
"will it work on the drive if its not in finder?"

it can.
it can detect drives that wont mount,
and in some cases it can repair them when Disk Utility cant.

for an external drive you don't really need to start-up from the DiskWarrior CD.
that is useful when you an to check or run repairs on your usual start-up disk

pitty it didn't work with yours.
good luck in getting it fixed

nick
August 28, 2008 08:54AM
> "will it work on the drive if its not in finder?"
> it can.
> it can detect drives that wont mount,
> and in some cases it can repair them when Disk Utility cant.

There's another old DiskWarrior trick used by a guy who taught me troubleshooting: Start DiskWarrior first, then turn on the drive. Sometimes drives that DiskWarrior can't see normally (and won't mount in OS) can show up like that.

www.derekmok.com
August 28, 2008 11:51AM

Disk warrior is your last hope, like Luke Skywalker in ....well....last hope

That's "New Hope".

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 29, 2008 01:47AM
Sorry Joey...it was late and my brain was freezed...how can i forgot that.
August 29, 2008 01:53AM
oh.. i thought maybe that's what they called it in French smiling smiley

nm
August 29, 2008 02:03AM
Yeah sometime french translation of movie title give you cold sweat in the back...
August 30, 2008 01:15PM
Try shutting down fully, pulling the computer plug out of the wall, unplug all peripherals including the G-Tech drive and let sit for 20 minutes. Plug everything back in (including the G-Tech) and boot it up. This should reset the bus fuses if that is the issue.

Try it on a different computer. If it doesn't show up, I would send it back to the person who sent it to you. Ultimately, you don't know how it was formatted on their side. It could have been killed in transit. Lots of possibilities. I would put it back on the sender and not make it all your fault that you can't mount it. I would at the very least ask them questions about how it was used / what's on it / what kind of machine it came from / etc.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics