Changing speed of clips within edited timeline

Posted by edubs717 
Changing speed of clips within edited timeline
August 28, 2008 11:27AM
How do I change the speed of a clip within and edited timeline without rippling everything to the right?
Re: Changing speed of clips within edited timeline
August 28, 2008 11:44AM
Aie. That's been a longtime feature request. Currently there's no way to turn the rippling off. So the options are:

1. Move the clip up (select, then OPTION-Up/Down Arrow) to an empty track, lock all other tracks, perform the speed change;
2. Open the clip into the Viewer, do the speed change there, then re-edit into the timeline;
3. Hit an In point where the clip is, Cut/Paste the clip to the end of your edited sequence, do the speed change, Cut, then SHIFT-I to fly back and Paste.

www.derekmok.com
August 28, 2008 11:48AM
Here's what I do. I usually keep a little junkyard sequence which contains rough workings of my edits as well as use it for stuff like speed ramps.

I move the playhead to the beginning of that clip, select the clip, apple c to copy it, apple left or right to toggle timelines to the junkyard sequence (by default it is "apple [" or "apple ]", but i have it remapped), apple v for paste, hit apple j to alter the speed of the clip, option up arrow to shift it one track up, apple x for cut, toggle back to the timeline, apple v to paste it back and it now appears one track above my original clip. I then delete that clip and adjust the length of the shot.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 28, 2008 11:56AM
Haha. Derek's fast. There's also another option.

Go to the beginning of that clip, hit apple option f to bring up an independent clip, hit I to mark the in point, do the speed change, and do a "superimpose" edit.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 28, 2008 01:04PM
It's unnecessary to go back to your in point if you edit it back into the sequence with Replace Edit. So, I use Strypes method but use Replace Edit instead.

One problem with CMD + OPT F is that you cannot matchframe back to it.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 28, 2008 01:08PM
one more way:

double click clip into viewer.
go to motion tab,
"Time Re-map"

grab one of the green diamonds on the window there,
and adjust the angle of the slope.

less steep, and you are making the clip slower,
more steep, and you make it run faster,

not very accurate
but the shot stays the same duration.

park on the last frame, and adjust the keyframe on the out-point,
and you can see your out-point up-dating.

nick
August 28, 2008 03:24PM
Next Supermeet, you should have a Competitive Clip Retiming event. Enough with the raffles- make people earn the prizes :-).
August 28, 2008 07:14PM
Nick Meyers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> one more way:
>
> double click clip into viewer.
> go to motion tab,
> "Time Re-map"
>
> grab one of the green diamonds on the window
> there,
> and adjust the angle of the slope.
>
> less steep, and you are making the clip slower,
> more steep, and you make it run faster,
>
> not very accurate
> but the shot stays the same duration.
>
> park on the last frame, and adjust the keyframe on
> the out-point,
> and you can see your out-point up-dating.
>
>
> nick

That's aiiiiiight, but you hafta use the mouse. Ewwwwwwww. I like the out point updating, though.

I'm sure there are several other ways. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 28, 2008 08:54PM
I tend to use Kevin's method:
Cmd-Opt-F
Cmd-J
F11

... But I'm liking Nick's method. I don't mind mouse work as long as its doing something useful / control surface'ish. It would be nice though if there was a variation of the Time Remap tool that would let you do this directly in the timeline. I just tried using the clip keyframe editor in the timeline to change the Time Remap graph but it doesn't seem to update the Canvas in real time as it does when editing in the viewer.
August 28, 2008 08:54PM
I'm a real mouse junkie, and I bet I can do stuff just as fast as you keyboard purists.

[haunted VO] Come into the light, people ..... a mouse is a computer tool ..... you don't have to stay in 1980 .... tongue sticking out smiley

August 28, 2008 09:27PM
well the truth is i dont use that technique myself.
i'm an "end of the timeline" guy myself

but if you really hate all the rigmarole of cutting & pasting, then it could be for you.

forgot to mention you can see your speed as a percentage on the left hand side.

nick
August 28, 2008 10:50PM
Yeah, I always said, if you do eight operations faster than another person does two, you're still faster. Doesn't matter if the method may be more complex; only real speed and accuracy counts. Some longer operations are just more intuitive than others. I use a mouse/keyboard combination as well. Some things are just faster with the mouse, saves brain juices for actual creative thoughts.

That said, all our above methods are workarounds, and all of them have flaws. Apple should just implement that damn option to turn the rippling off already. Just add a little checkbox in the Speed dialog box, as with Frame Blending and Reverse.

www.derekmok.com
August 28, 2008 10:59PM
anchor to:

1st frame,
current frame,
last frame.

or should it always just anchor to 1st frame for simplicity?

nick
August 29, 2008 07:10AM
>I'm a real mouse junkie, and I bet I can do stuff just as fast as you keyboard purists.

Someday we'll get a gas and brake pedal to alter speed like they do in the real world.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics