DVCAM capture with deck or miniDV?

Posted by Eurie Jennings 
DVCAM capture with deck or miniDV?
September 01, 2008 04:29PM
Hi,

I am about to start work on a small project for a director who shot his film on Super 8mm and had it transferred to DVCAM tapes. I've not worked with DVCAM before, so I have a couple questions before starting:

First off, what type of deck would I need to rent to do the capture? I know that some have said that DVCAM is similar to miniDV, but if I used a miniDV camera as the deck to capture the DVCAM footage (as the tapes are the same size), would there be ANY quality loss? The director was concerned of this....

If there is quality loss using a miniDV camera, what DVCAM deck would get the job done? I've researched several decks, but not sure if one produces better quality than the other...

Would the Sony DSR 11 work without degrading quality?

I'm not sure of the final output for the film, though I know DVD is definitely one of them.

And as far as capture and timeline settings, would it be the same as a miniDV sequence, using (I'm using FCP 5.1.4):

DV NTSC 48khz (though there is no audio for the film)
29.97 fps?
720X480

I really appreciate anyone who might be able to help me! I know I have a lot of questions, but I am learning, and excited! Thanks so much in advance!

eurie
Re: DVCAM capture with deck or miniDV?
September 01, 2008 07:14PM
DSR-11 or DSR-45 would be perfect as decks to transfer your footage. If you wanna transfer your footage using a mini-dv camera that camera need to be able to read DVCAM format otherwise you wont be able to play it back in that camera.

you wont lose quality using DSR-11 instead of the DSR-45 and you wont lose quality using a camera that read DVCAM format. The important thing is your capture settings when you want the highest quality for your footage. The one you choose is ok for that format.

Thats pretty about it.

Frank
September 01, 2008 11:03PM
Many of the JVC DV decks also playback DVCAM -- you can NOT playback DVCAM in a regular DV deck unless it's specifically designed to read DVCAM -- think the tape pitch and speed is a little different than regular DV - you will probably be able to hear the sound on playback but the picture will be garbled

And DV is DV is DV -- it's digital bits - ones and zeros -- if the camera or deck's able to read the format - you won't lose quality on whatever deck you use if you transfer it digitally (that's not the case if you go analog out of the deck into some converter device back into the compuer)
September 02, 2008 05:28AM
As far as I know, all Sony mechanisms whether DV, DVCAM or even HDV can playback DVCAM with no issues.

I have a very old PC9 MiniDV HandyCam that will playback DVCAM but not record it. I have also used several other Sony DV cameras which perform the same.

Don't use JVC or Panasonic decks to playback DVCAM anyway - if it was recorded Sony then play it back on Sony.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 02, 2008 05:31AM
FYI: MiniDV is a tape shell not a format.

You can record DV or DVCAM to a MiniDV tape.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 02, 2008 08:43AM
I am editing a job today that I transferred yesterday. It's DVCAM that was recorded on MiniDV tapes. Good picture, terrible audio. Ho hum, guess I have to break out the SoundSoap Pro.

Dan
September 02, 2008 09:16AM
Mini DV is a tape format that records DVCAM, DV and HDV. Recording at DVCAM mode, the tape runs faster (about 40 mins compared to 60 mins for regular DV on the same tape, not sure about LP mode as I haven't worked on it yet). It is essentially the same capture codec (DV25), but with higher fidelity and better against dropouts. Otherwise, it is all 1s and 0s, so no difference on quality on different decks.

Here's a good site if you have questions about DV. [www.adamwilt.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
September 02, 2008 10:19AM
Ben - disagree about the JVC Decks and DVCAM -- we use them every day and have pristine playback - problem free. Best Andy
September 02, 2008 12:26PM
Hey as long as it works for you!

Over the years I've had loads of JVC decks do funny things with DVCAM and DV when recorded by SONY and played back in JVC. Meaning lots of redigitising of footage.

Funny I've never had the same issue with playback visa versa - ie: JVC recorded Sony playback.

I have nothing against JVC - I have a Broadcast JVC HD monitor and have used many of their cameras, very good manufacturer IMO.

But I can only say it as I have experienced it! grinning smiley

September 02, 2008 12:34PM
Hmm... Not sure if it is an old wives tale (or old editor's tale). Haven't tried this myself, but heard that one shouldn't mix using Panasonic and Sony tapes as Panasonic uses a powder based lubricant and Sony uses a liquid based lubricant, and when used on the same heads, they leave residues and the head will then have to be sent for maintenance.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 02, 2008 12:39PM
Thats not a DV wives tale...

its a Chinese whisper tongue sticking out smiley (no pun intended!)

As far as I know you should not use DVCpro tapes in DV Decks but SONY, JVC, Panasonic DV tapes are fine.

September 02, 2008 01:06PM
>its a Chinese whisper

Lol. Voices in the wind... Googling a bit..

[forum.videohelp.com]

[www.tapestockonline.com]

Hell. The debate will never end. Guess it's better going tapeless.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 02, 2008 01:19PM
I guess at the lower end you will always get problems...

I always use SONY PDV and PDVM tape stock - none of the prosumer or consumer rubbish!

and only use High quality HDV stock when (spit) I have to shoot HDV...

September 02, 2008 05:53PM
I worked for ''Vision Globale'' in the machine room, doing copies and copies and i can assure you that when i played back DVCAM tapes with the adaptor in a DVCPRO deck i had to run a ''cleaner tape'' everytime after. It was even a procedure there.
September 03, 2008 05:16AM
Yeah I remember lots of issues like that with DVCAM/DVCpro cross over...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics