Exporting audio to Logic Pro

Posted by Nick Scale 
Exporting audio to Logic Pro
September 02, 2008 05:58PM
Hi

I'm working on an edit in FCS2 and need to provide the audio to a sound designer using Logic Pro. Usually I work with ProTools with Automatic Duck which can import OMFs. Unfortunately Logic Pro does not import OMFs.

How can I work around this?

Is there a route by exporting to Soundtrack Pro first then exporting from that to Logic Pro?

(At present I am just exporting flattened AIFFs of all the audio channels. This is not ideal as it does not give any clip handles and all the gain settings and clip transitions are flattened rather than left as automation keyframes.)

NickScale

Mac Pro 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
OSX 10.6.4, FCP 7.0.2
Re: Exporting audio to Logic Pro
September 02, 2008 06:13PM
I'm pretty sure Logic Pro accepts OMFs. What version of Logic Pro is he on? And yea, Soundtrack Pro also accepts OMFs.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 02, 2008 07:56PM
Hmmm, yeah he's on Logic 8 and I've done some reading around now and you're right - it should be fine. He also has Cubase which also had a problem with the file.

So it must be the file.

I've tried to open the OMF in Soundtrack Pro. But nothing happens. Activity Monitor shows it's chugging through something for a few seconds, but then it just gives up. No "Importing OMF..." progress window, nothing on the timelines, nada...

The file is 48/16 OMFI 2.0 including transitions, pan and gain settings and 5 second handles. The total duration is 13'41" with 18 tracks of audio. File size is 1.29GB. (I also did a version with 10 second handles, total filesize 1.8 GB. Both are within the 2GB OMF file limit.)

Now I've tried exporting more OMFs from FCP, this time without any transitions/pan/gain and with handles of 2 seconds, 1 second and no handles at all. All files failed to open in SP.

The timeline audio is all 48/16 from DVCProHD 720p25 material, except additional score and sound design tracks which were conformed to 48/16 AIFF prior to importing to FCP. There are no disabled clips on the timeline (these cause FCP to fail on export).

What am I doing wrong?

NickScale

Mac Pro 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
OSX 10.6.4, FCP 7.0.2
September 02, 2008 08:21PM
Logic has supported OMFs since the eMagic days. Soundtrack Pro 2 will able to open it. Not sure about Soundtrack Pro (i don't think it did). Haven't used Cubase before.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 02, 2008 08:25PM
Yeah, sorry should have said: I am using Soundtrack Pro 2.0.2, Final Cut Pro 6.0.4 - so the latest versions of both...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics