Q Master

Posted by Francois-Michel 
Q Master
September 08, 2008 09:57AM
what's up guys,
I just saw a tutorial yesterday about Q Master. The guy was creating a '' virtual cluster '' and used it with compressor. Basically he dedicated 3 cores out of 4 to compressor and the compression was really quicker than usual. I tried it and i got to say that its amazing...1 minute of HD compressed in one minute with 6.2mbps 2 pass compression and dolby digital sound.

Now i wanna know if i can use it for renders in FCP. I saw there was already an option for ''SHAKE and other shell command processing" so can we use that procedure with FCP at all ?

thx

Frank
Re: Q Master
September 08, 2008 10:03AM
Sorry, but no, you cannot. Final Cut doesn't support that at all.

Rendering on a cluster is a tricky thing. Shake and After Effects can do it because they're frame-based. Compressor can do it because Apple worked really hard to figure out how to segment encoding jobs across multiple running instances. But Final Cut doesn't work like either of those, so it doesn't support running across a cluster.

September 08, 2008 10:14AM
Damn it...im so sad...i fiured that if it was possible i would have heard about it...specially here.

Thx Jeff.
September 08, 2008 11:31AM
Really not a lot of need for cluster support for FCP. Its not a graphics app, it's for editing. Renders are good excuses to get up and go watch baseball.

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 08, 2008 11:58AM
Qmaster is really good for breaking up parts of your render across your processors while using Compressor, i.e. 8 cores compressing one single stream into Mpeg-2 one frame at a time is really inefficient while compressing 4 streams and re-assembling them later is much more efficient.

The good thing is that FCP is fairly efficient at using all your cores already. It pegs them all out fairly well and does a fairly good job, it doesnt have to do the massively intense calculations that Shake or Maya has to do so Cluster renders just havent been a priority.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics