URGENT: Making the cleanest standard def file from HD master

Posted by Alex Frey 
URGENT: Making the cleanest standard def file from HD master
September 10, 2008 01:19PM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make a standard def quicktime file from my HD master, which is encoded in DVC Pro HD. Everytime I try doing it in quicktime pro using the DV codec I get this ugly pixellated file. Are there certain steps I am missing?

I need the standard definition NTSC file because whenever I try printing to MINI DV tape using my mini dv camera as a deck, no video is transferring to the camera, and after a few moments the process stops and the frames-were-dropped window pops up. Maybe there's something I am doing wrong here so I don't have to drop it to standard def before I print to mini DV?

I would highly appreciate any urgent help.
Re: URGENT: Making the cleanest standard def file from HD master
September 10, 2008 01:57PM
Export a self contained QT file, using the sequence settings. Either use Compressor and the DV/NTSC setting in the ADVANCED CONVERSIONS section, or bring that back into FCP and drop it onto a DV/NTSC timeline and render. Although if your HD timeline is 23.98, you will have cadence issues when you convert to 29.97. Really, an HD capture card would be the best way to do this output. Barring that, Compressor might be your best bet.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
September 10, 2008 02:06PM
Thanks for the response Shane!

The only problem is when I bring my self-contained QT file and drop it into a DV/NTSC timeline and render, I get a 4x3 image letterboxed to 16x9. Then if I change the sequence settings to anamorphic, it gives me a native 16x9 image letterboxed to what looks like 2.35:1 and its squisshed. Do I just have to live with the 4x3 letterbox? Because I am going to transfer the miniDV print to Beta cam sp, and I need the original native 16x9 ratio as this will be projected in a theater at the temecula valley international film festival.
September 10, 2008 02:23PM
> The only problem is when I bring my self-contained QT file and drop it into a DV/NTSC timeline
> and render, I get a 4x3 image letterboxed to 16x9. Then if I change the sequence settings to
> anamorphic, it gives me a native 16x9 image letterboxed to what looks like 2.35:1 and its
> squisshed. Do I just have to live with the 4x3 letterbox? Because I am going to transfer the
> miniDV print to Beta cam sp, and I need the original native 16x9 ratio as this will be projected in
> a theater at the temecula valley international film festival.

There's no "native" 16:9 in standard definition. SD is 4:3, so you're either going to have to do letterboxed 4:3, or you'll have to pan and scan (lose the edges of the widescreen image), or you'll have to manually convert the 16:9 image to anamorphic. To do that, apply a Distort - Aspect Ratio of 33.33 on the clip in the SD timeline, then push the Scale up in the Motion tab to make the vertically stretched image fit the 4:3 frame.

If you're using Compressor or MPEG Streamclip, the process of exporting to a 720x486 frame size will basically turn the image into anamorphic 16:9 and you won't have to do the process above.

www.derekmok.com
September 10, 2008 02:43PM
Hey thanks for the response Derek.

The problem is, when I export from Compressor with the 720x486 frame size, I get a really ugly and pixellated file. Is there something I need to change with the frame rate or pixel aspect ratio or something? The master is encoded in DVC Pro HD, 23.98 fps, 1080i60.
September 10, 2008 03:43PM
Not 720x486...you need DV, so 720x480. And yeah, either 16x9 letterboxed, or 4:3 pan and scan...or if you need the anamorphic, leave it squished. That is what anamorphic is...squished.

Take the export to a post facility with an HD capture card and a beta deck...do it from the card. Don't mess with all this intermediate stuff.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
September 10, 2008 03:52PM
Thanks Shane.

Okay so I have made progress.

But here's my last inquiry.

Is there any way to convert my 23.98 hd file to 29.97 without getting cadence issues?
September 10, 2008 04:42PM
> Is there any way to convert my 23.98 hd file to 29.97 without getting cadence issues?

Take Shane's advice, don't do it yourself. Export your file as a 23.98fps DV file and let a professional facillity do the rest. If you had a capture card you can do the conversion on the fly, but your setup sounds like it's a camera and a computer, and you also won't get very good tapes that way. Cameras were not meant to be used as output devices, especially when it comes to frame-accurate outputs.

www.derekmok.com
September 12, 2008 04:07PM
Shane and Derek...if you were wrestlers, you would be my favorite Tag Team.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics