Quicktime on Mac vs PC

Posted by lhdor12 
Quicktime on Mac vs PC
September 16, 2008 10:07AM
I have exported footage from FCP Studio 2 off my Mac Pro as 720 X 480 16:9 Integer H.264, original sequence 1920 X 1080

Viewing the export on my Mac looks fine, no issues. I play the exported footage on my PC and it looks like there are transparent vertical venetian blinds on the images.
Although, when you put the image at full screen it eliminates the problem.
Why is that?
Re: Quicktime on Mac vs PC
September 16, 2008 11:15AM
Because the PC really wants you to use Windows Media Player...and really wants you to have WMV encoded media. Giving it a Quicktime is forcing it to deal with the "competitors" encoding. And while it will do it, it will do it with the bare minimum of effort...out of sheer spite. When you go into full screen mode it is forced by mandate from M$oft to play the image with the best quality. But just opening them as small windows doesn't have that mandate so it gives you the barest minimum.

This is so that all of your clients will complain that "those Quicktime movies you send me are all garbage. What I want is a good quality AVI (ancient dying format) or a WMV movie." So that the computer doesn't have to deal with anything that isn't...too high falootin'...for it.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
September 16, 2008 01:41PM
Are you serious? Are they really that spiteful?
September 16, 2008 01:48PM
September 16, 2008 02:14PM
you took that seriously?

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
September 16, 2008 02:48PM
No, no, I can just see the conspiracy behind it though. Just like hot dogs come in packages of 8 and hot dog buns packages of 12.
September 16, 2008 03:35PM
Well, there might be truth to it. Quicktime is a very good web standard...and M$ is trying to get Silverlight out there with DRM that makes Hollyweird happy. So there might be truth to it yet.

Odd that it works full screen...Oh..right...mandate...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
September 17, 2008 11:48AM
We're struggling with simply opening a short MP3 client sound file from our web site. We discovered the only sure way to prevent crashes and browser freezes is to decouple Internet Explorer from QuickTime and let Windows Media play the work.

Essentially, give up.

All the Macs, of course, play everything always.

You don't often see Internet Explorer explode in a cloud of sparkling fragments under Windows XP.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics