HDV batch capture gotchas

Posted by Nick Meyers 
HDV batch capture gotchas
September 16, 2008 12:20PM
i was going to post asking for advice.
we were having a terrible time getting FCP to batch capture HDV.
we would capture a clip, then the capture window would freeze, while the camera kept rolling.

i dont really know what caused that problem,
but when i un-networked our 2 computers we were able to batch capture ok.
it sounds like voodoo, so i'm not sure that was the real issue, but away we went.

that's not the real thing i'm writing about.

when we did get capturing, we had another problem:
in the HDV Log & Capture window "Make New Clip on Shot Change" (or whatever it's called) is ticked by default.
this is really bad when you're batch capturing!

we were capturing w handles,
and often had a shot change IN the handle.
if the shot change is in the HEAD handle, then it freaks FCP out big time.

the first useless file gets the name of the clip,
then real one gets -1 on the end.

later, we had a crash and had to reconnect, and FCP wanted to connect to the first useless file as it had the right name,
but these files then caused FCP to freeze up.

took ages to figure that one out.

pretty easy to spot & fix once you know.
all those files were about 3MB.
so sort by size,
colour them red or something,
then sort by name and fix the names of the good files

tomorrow we will continue but with that box turned off!

just thought i'd pass it on.

cheers,
nick
Re: HDV batch capture gotchas
September 16, 2008 07:04PM
Are you capturing over firewire, Nick? I didn't even know you could batch HDV. I thought it was hit go and stop at will. Maybe I'm thinking FCE...

September 16, 2008 07:15PM
Batch didging with broken timecode is a bear no matter what tape format you're using. The solution is usually to dub the tape to a freshly blacked tape with a clean timecode track, if possible.

I'm not sure if that's an option with DV and HDV. I probably should know, since I have two HDV cameras, but it's never come up, touch wood.

September 16, 2008 10:27PM
Hi Jude, Jeff.
yes you can batch capture HDV over FW.
maybe you are thinking of how you can transcode HDV to ProRes on capture?
but we are just capturing as HDV.

this isn't a TC break issue.
but in FCP you have an option to create a new file for each shot when capturing HDV

this is a really bad thing when doing a batch re-capture.
and it's is the default, so it caught us out.

the ARE tapes with TC breaks,
but not disastrous ones with a new TC for every shot.
we were pretty carefull when doing the original capture not to get too close to the break,
but you never know.

next time i'll use Jeff's method of just capturing as HDV and cutting in a Prores timeline.

cheers,
nick
September 18, 2008 04:45AM
going off-topic here.

Jeff,
when you edit HDV in a ProRes timeline, do you set the frame size and pixel size to match the HDV,
or use the more standard 1920 x 1080.

i'll be rendering this batch capture as Prores (Or possibly uncompressed) and handing it over to a post house for grading.

thanks,
nick
September 18, 2008 06:11AM
I used to use 1440x1080 unless I was adding graphics, but now I just use 1920x1080 all the time. Keeping it at 1440 does not, on my system, improve real-time performance noticeably, so I don't bother.

September 18, 2008 07:50AM
thinking quality rather than performance

according to the motion tab,
it's a 133% blow up with a 33.33 distort.
(just like blowing 4/3 up to 16/9)

it's gotta happen somewhere, though.
you haven't been disappointed quality wise, i take it?
September 18, 2008 07:55AM
No, I haven't been, but I'm used to working with 1440x1080 formats. I started on HDCAM back in the day. So I might be numb to it.

(Still don't love DVCPRO HD's 1280x1080, though.)

September 19, 2008 04:30AM
Is it true that if you capture HDV footage in ProRes, later you wont be able to Batch Capture it...?
September 19, 2008 08:27AM
here's the story as i see it.
and be aware that i have never done it, only read about it!
[library.creativecow.net]

if you use FCP to trasncode your HDV to PRoRes on capture,
then you cant log & capture,
it's pretty much a "Capture Now" situation.

Shane posts in a comment on that article that
for some reason you cant enter a REEL# on capture, but of course you can add one later.
however he doesn't say you DONT get TC, so for now i'll assume that you do.

if this is true, then what it means is that you wont be ale to easily re-batch capture that footage IN THE SAME WAY.
but as long as you have correct TC & Reel#,
you COULD batch Capture some OTHER way:
directly as HDV over FW,
or via some other form of converter, say a Convergent Design FW to HD-SDI box hooked up to a Kona Card.
but hey, you would have done that the first time, right?

nick

(and thanks, Jeff for your reply. i missed it the other day)
September 20, 2008 05:27PM
Well i digitize some hdv footage converting it on the fly in ProRes. I spot-checked the clips in quicktime and they seem to have the same original TC as the TC on the tape.

Considering that, i would think that you could batch captured it. I will try it.
September 22, 2008 11:49PM
>Is it true that if you capture HDV footage in ProRes, later you wont be able to Batch
>Capture it...?

I'm starting to think you can and it should work the same way as running a capture now over timecode breaks. Though I haven't tested it out yet... Some guy did it a while ago here on the forum, I recall.

To recapture, instead of running a Batch Capture, you start another project and rerun the capture. Just make sure the clips have the same names as the original clips. On scene detection, the first frame is broken up into a new clip and as captures should always maintain the exact frame duration as the source (otherwise it would be known as a dropping frames). As for timecode, when you capture with the same method twice (transcode to ProRes via FW or any form of capture), the timecode should always remain the same anyway. Then you reopen the original project, and reconnect the clips. They should be able to match back exactly.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 23, 2008 02:09AM
Well Strypes, you are probably right man. I didn't had the time to run the test about the batch capture, but as soon as i got a bit of free time ill try it and let you know.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics