Blue Ray.....? Hello.......?

Posted by Kozikowski 
Blue Ray.....? Hello.......?
September 22, 2008 11:42AM
The SuperDrives in all the current Macs will play BlueRay movies, right?

Koz
Re: Blue Ray.....? Hello.......?
September 22, 2008 11:43AM
Negative. BluRay is not a backwards-compatible format.

September 22, 2008 12:34PM
What do you mean by "current mac"? Did Apple start putting Blue-Ray drives into macs at some point?

Scott
September 22, 2008 12:39PM
This is about your only option assuming you have a MacPro

[www.mcetech.com]

I'm sure there are external drives out there.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 22, 2008 01:14PM
I bought a Pioneer internal Blue Ray writer:
[www.amazon.com]

$360 as opposed to $500 but you have get a power adapter cable and a SATA connector cable as well AND you'd have to be VERY Mac installation savvy and I DO NOT recommend it for the fainthearted. I almost had to take my entire Mac apart and put it back together to install it. It works but Apple made the door very tiny and the tray hits either the top or the bottom no matter what I do to adjust it. So I have to manually press down on the door to have the tray retract - ludicrous. I only found out about this after I installed it and put everything back together on obviously I'll now have to live with it bc there is no way I want to try to touch the darn thing again.
September 22, 2008 01:17PM
One of the guys in the shop is building a home entertainment system.....with a quiet PC and Microsoft Vista Media Center. He said it's to get the Blue Ray player.

I said all the New High Technology, Cutting Edge Macs should be able to do that. I'll check.

Koz
September 22, 2008 01:21PM
Bear in mind that it was only very recently that the HD-DVD format died out. So it's not really unreasonable that Macs don't have BluRay gear.

I'm pretty stupid about that format, personally; is there such a thing as a player that can play BluRay and regular video and data discs as well? Is there a multiformat burner?

September 22, 2008 02:06PM
All of the Blu-ray drives I've seen will read/burn DVDs just fine.
September 22, 2008 10:03PM
It may be more complicated than that. Blue Ray and HDMI like to "check" and make sure everything is OK before they play.

We had a devil of a time connecting HDMI to our Christie projector. It kept wanting to check the acceptability of the Christie as a "monitor." One of the graphic artists brought a Blue Ray player in and it took one look at the Christie and laughed at us.

[raspberry sound made with tongue, lips and rapidly expelled air.]

That and I'm not used to taking a technology back seat to a PC.

Koz
September 23, 2008 08:05PM
Playstation3 baby! It plays all kinds of DVDs incl. Blue Ray - that's my Blue Ray player!

Ditto for burners - the Pioneer Blue Ray burner I have burns all kinds of discs, whatever you can burn in Toast basically.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics