Making a 23.98 progressive SD DVD from an original QT file

Posted by harry323 
Making a 23.98 progressive SD DVD from an original QT file
September 23, 2008 03:11PM
Problem:

I export my ProRes Hi quality HD file from FCP and get a nice 90 gig QUICKTIME file.

The ProRes setting I am using for FCP playback is Blackmagic HDTV 1080i 29.97 8 biy 1920 x 1080.

The Sequence FCP preset is Apple Prores 422 HQ 1440 x 1080 24p 48k.

This material originated on a Canon XLH1 running Canon's weird "24f" mode

I take a quick look at it in Quicktime when it's cooked and I see progressive frames - no doubled frames etc. i.e. movement in all frames.

Now I go into Compressor and import it.

I use 90 mins setting. Film is 86 mins long.

Now ...

I put the compressed file into DVD Studio Pro and what I get is fine except that it is NOT making a frame by frame copy - it gives me an extra doubled frame every 4 frames (or whatever it is).

I want a 24 individual frames version.

What to do, what to do?

I have, in the past, exported my FCP file as a DVCProHD file which takes FOREVER but I did get 24 frame results. The time was staggering.

Any advice appreciated.

O Death Where Is Thy Sting?

Many thanks,

Harry The Hopeless.

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
Re: Making a 23.98 progressive SD DVD from an original QT file
September 23, 2008 03:17PM
There is n 24p standard for DVD. There is 25fps for PAL, and 29.97fps for NTSC.

That said, there is such thing as a 24p DVD, but it's just a special case of 29.97fps where, upon compression for MPEG2, the 24p media gets compressed to MPEG with special field repeat tags added to the MPEG stream so that the 24p gets compressed as is for efficiency, but it remains 29.97fps compatible. It's those "pulldown" frames that you're probably seeing.

Graeme
Re: Making a 23.98 progressive SD DVD from an original QT file
September 23, 2008 03:27PM
Graeme,

Thanks very much for the reply.

But the end result that I'm getting is slightly jerky due to those extra frames. I hate it. Do I have to export it from FCP as DVCProHD?

Any idea of what I can do to eliminate this effect - or to make the DVD I am burning have these wretched tags and tell my player not to play the doubled frames?

Many thanks.

Question: How many times a day do people ask you when Scarlett is coming out?

Harry

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics