OT: Paul Newman dies of cancer...

Posted by grafixjoe 
OT: Paul Newman dies of cancer...
September 27, 2008 12:28PM
[www.chron.com]

This is a tough one for me. My 10 year old grew up very sick with many food intolerances and thrived on many of "Newman's Own" natural products where most of the proceeds went to help kids:

Newman's Own Foundation

He was also an avid race fan and part owner of a racing team:

[www.newman-haas.com]
[www.newman-haas.com]

Paul was a giant in the Entertainment biz...but an even bigger soul in the human race. He was ALWAYS about giving back to those less fortunate than he was. His rock solid marriage to Joanne Woodward of 50 years is legendary. He was one of the coolest ever...when cool MEANT somethin':

He's having a pint with St. Peter right now. We love you & will miss you terribly, Paul. RIP.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: OT: Paul Newman dies of cancer...
September 27, 2008 12:30PM
A great man. One of the film businesses finest philanthropists. This really surprised me, I had no idea he had cancer.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
September 27, 2008 02:41PM
September 27, 2008 03:03PM
Someone who definitely gave more than he took. He contributed greatly in his endeavors.
September 28, 2008 01:09AM
Paul Newman was one of the few multi-generational stars. I grew up watching his movies (60s-70s). And so did my mid-20s son, thanks to TCM!; he never misses a re-run of Cool Hand Luke, his favorite Paul Newman movie. Joey is right: Newman was even bigger off-screen.
September 28, 2008 03:05AM
Even though he was 80+, I always held out hope that he would join up with Redford once again. Maybe a sequel to Butch Casidy and the Sundance Kid.

He was a timeless actor
September 28, 2008 09:47AM
> I always held out hope that he would join up with Redford once again. Maybe a sequel to Butch
> Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

There is, in a way. It's called The Sting. Marvelous chemistry there. It's like seeing Toshiro Mifune and Takashi Shimura in new characters in a new film. Instant electricity. Actors can be marvelous creatures.

www.derekmok.com
September 28, 2008 09:57AM

Actors can be marvelous creatures.

GOOD Actors...agreed. Mr. Newman was an inspiration to human beings on every level. He was a "Re-Actor" (acting is listening & reacting...being private in public). He made his craft seem seemless...invisible. I learned that from him.

The Sting / The Color of Money / Slapshot / Cars / The Hustler / Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. Paul left unforgettable marks on all these films...performances that I will personally remember & recall for the rest of my time on this rock.

September 28, 2008 10:00AM
Let's not forget a late-stage Newman classic: Road to Perdition. My director partner and I saw that at the Ziegfeld in New York. When Newman slammed his fist at the table at Daniel Craig, it was like a dramatic A-bomb.

www.derekmok.com
September 28, 2008 10:12AM
So many of my life's memories are tied up in this man's career. How could I forgot "The Towering Inferno"...my first ever "disaster film" I saw in theaters as a kid (11 years old). "Winning" was the movie that sparked his deep love for auto racing. "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" with Liz Taylor. His IMDB career list is a fast track down memory lane...

[www.imdb.com]

You can bet some DVD distributor will cash in on this with a giant "Paul Newman Box Set". I would love to revisit the old films digitally remastered and watch them in HD.

September 28, 2008 10:45AM
> You can bet some DVD distributor will cash in on this with a giant "Paul Newman Box Set". I
> would love to revisit the old films digitally remastered and watch them in HD.

Sadly, it's likely they'll rush out old, un-remastered DVDs just to cash in, as opposed to doing a proper restoration job. If only Criterion Collection could get its hands on a package like that. Their Seven Samurai and Salo re-releases were fabulous.

www.derekmok.com
September 28, 2008 11:21AM
Sad day, all we can do is remember his work and his contribution and crack a smile.
September 30, 2008 07:34AM
Cool Hand Luke. Young Dennis Hopper and a great George Kennedy. What a movie.
September 30, 2008 01:07PM
Come on guys, how come nobody has mentioned Slap Shot...

"I'm trying to listen to the f%^$#% song!"
September 30, 2008 01:34PM
6 posts up...I sure did.

September 30, 2008 01:53PM
Oops, you sure did. Can't say it was a great movie, sure made me laugh though.
September 30, 2008 07:26PM
Slap Shot will ALWAYS be loved. It was one of those cult films for us Sports film nutz (and for a 14 year old kid that was learning all about swearing). The Hanson Brothers are still as famous as they were when they made the damn film & are still making appearances today wearing their glasses with the tape in the middle. They are cult film gods.

I need to watch it again...

September 30, 2008 07:47PM
At a lafcpug meeting a couple years ago I had the honor of interviewing Dede Allen who edited Slapshot. She had never seen a hockey game before. It remains one of her favorite films. Mine too, and I hate hockey. We showed the famous clip of Michael Ontkean stripping off his uniform to the tune of the "stripper." Great stuff.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 01, 2008 09:18AM
LOL...that was one of those classic scenes you just don't forget. I love how that was edited. The expressions on Paul's face during cutaways were priceless. Can you IMAGINE having that kind of content to play with as an Editor???

October 01, 2008 11:48AM
Can you IMAGINE having that kind of content to play with as an Editor???
Yeah. And what about all the other movies she edited. Talk about content.

The Hustler
Bonnie and Clyde
Reds
Little Big man
Serpico
Dog Day Afternoon
Alices Restaurant.

on and on

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 01, 2008 12:59PM
Oy...talk about loving your job smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics