Slightly OT: Linear Gamma

Posted by strypes 
Slightly OT: Linear Gamma
October 01, 2008 08:38AM
Came across this article from Adobe (yes, we are not alone)...

[www.adobe.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: Slightly OT: Linear Gamma
October 01, 2008 09:29AM
i was enlightened by the gamma info. I have been trying to correct that in the footage that i capture.

i have never used a fcp curve and unsure if it exist so what would be the fcp equivalent to create curve?

does this mean that my dvx is over/under in the highlights because of the luma adjustments made thru automation?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 01, 2008 11:23AM
I think FCP can only handle certain kinds of input controls like the slider and the radial angle control...

I'm actually curious about the colors in the superwhite regions... Like for example, if you shoot a face and parts of it extend to the superwhites (speculars?), when you bring it back down, the colors seem to turn a little neon.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 01, 2008 01:36PM
yeah i see that too. its not really consumer noticeable unless you use a really blown shot.

i also notice a halo-like edge form around the super white area especially when the color transitions to skin tone.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 01, 2008 03:41PM
One weird tool that I occasionally use for this is to matte out the face and apply a broadcast safe filter..

www.strypesinpost.com
October 01, 2008 04:34PM
J.Corbett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> i have never used a fcp curve and unsure if it
> exist so what would be the fcp equivalent to
> create curve?
>
[www.nattress.com]

This doesn't have a grab and drag interface like you find in photoshop, but as part of the "Big Box of Tricks" is an inexpensive solution.

You can also find a really nice curves tool in Red Giants Looks filter:
[www.redgiantsoftware.com]

-Vance
October 01, 2008 09:42PM
FCP doesn't really have the GUI controls to do a really nice curve editor. Well, you could with FXPlug but I had to write a custom GUI, which isn't too bad, but then you can't use the keyframing stuff, or something like that... I remember there being some gotcha.

Why off colours in super-white? Well, your camera is probably close to clipping. Clipping can look ok as long as R, G and B clip together. If blue clips last, as it usually does, highlights can go purple. This can be fixed to gain back some extra dynamic range from being lost, but I only know of RED doing that. There's a control for that in RedAlert / RedCine. Most cameras I've seen just basically display the image a bit over-exposed from what the sensor sees to hide what goes on in the near clipped region.

Graeme
October 02, 2008 07:02AM
>This can be fixed to gain back some extra dynamic range from being lost, but I only
>know of RED doing that.

If guys were to shoot on REDs, I'm sure they'd be lots more careful. winking smiley

Yup, they're extremely close to clipping. Hot spots. They may look generally okay, but once I bring those spots down, they start turning neon... Probably why it's always better to shoot 1 stop under when in doubt.

>I remember there being some gotcha.

One would be the RT rendering in RGB, which will cause superwhites to magically vanish, or you apply a proc amp or a 3 way to legalize the shot first. That's an irritating gotcha if you're going be adjusting gamma- bouncing luma. Can't figure out why they can't map RGB white point to 235 when they do the RT preview thing.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 02, 2008 08:51AM
i'm a bit lost in all this,
so this little tid-bit i have to add is hopefully not completely irrelevant:

captain's blow-out fixer
[pistolerapost.com]

this will grab whatever info is left in a chosen colour layer,
and use that to fill in the gaps in the too-far-gone layers.

nm
October 02, 2008 08:58AM
>so this little tid-bit i have to add is hopefully not completely irrelevant:

Ah! That may be a good tool! Indeed!

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics