importing media

Posted by miama99 
importing media
October 03, 2008 02:26PM
Hi:

I have material from a DVD that I want to include on a FCP project. I am using 6.0.4. Using Handbrake, I saved the file as QT movie file. It played fine on a QT player, but when I tried to import it to FCP (both by directly dragging the file to the browser, and by "importing" it) I got a message readying "file error." So, in QT, i exported it, changing the compression to NTSC-DVCPRO. It too plays fine, but i am unable to import it. I read the FCP manual, which says that QT and AVI files are compatible.

Any thoughts?? All help is greatly appreciated.

Jim Hollander
Re: importing media
October 03, 2008 02:28PM
Yeah, you're going to need to go all the way back to the beginning here. What you need to do is use MPEG Streamclip to open up the VOB file on the DVD, then set your ins and outs and export a format that you can cut. Personally I use ProRes 422.

October 03, 2008 02:35PM
Everything you need is in the FAQ... I use Mpeg Streamclip. Works great. Open the DVD in Streamclip, export a Quicktime movie as Uncompressed, DV50 or DV.. Whatever you need.

[www.lafcpug.org]

>I read the FCP manual, which says that QT and AVI files are compatible.

Avi isn't FCP's best friend (Avis are hardly anyone's best friend either). QT in an editable codec like DV/DV50, etc...

Check the frame size, codec, and frame rate, as well as audio settings if it's in QT.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 03, 2008 02:38PM
>Personally I use ProRes 422.

Just curious... What's the NTSC frame size for ProRes SD?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 03, 2008 02:40PM
Whatever you want it to be. Usually I use 720x486; if I'm only going to DVD and starting with stuff that's been archived in MPEG-2 format, I'll just leave it at 720x480.

October 03, 2008 02:47PM
And by default, FCP will interpret it as 720x486?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 03, 2008 02:52PM
Final Cut treats 720x486 material as 720x486, obviously, and if you drop 720x480 material into a 720x486 timeline it gives you three blank lines at top and bottom.

October 03, 2008 02:53PM
I should have gone to FAQ first... that's exactly what i needed....

thanks
October 03, 2008 10:31PM
Hey quick tips here miamia, if your planing of using MPEG Streamclip, copy the VIDEO_TS folder on your internal hard drive instead of going right from the DVD directly. Than go from the TS in your hard drive in MPEG Streamclip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics