DVCPro to Prores conversion

Posted by Harry 
DVCPro to Prores conversion
October 03, 2008 07:16PM
This could have been already addressed here but I couldn't find the answer. I need to capture DVCPro 720p60 footage and convert it to Prores to match other footage shot HDV 1080i and already captured Prores. Can someone suggest a solution please.

Thanks

Harry
Re: DVCPro to Prores conversion
October 03, 2008 07:25PM
You don't say whether this is tape or P2, coming off a deck or via Firewire.

If it's P2 or Firewire, log-and-transfer as usual, then use Compressor to scale it up to 1080i and output as ProRes.

If it's coming off a deck and you have a Kona 3, capture as ProRes in 1080i.

If it's coming off a deck but you don't have a card that can upconvert, capture as ProRes 720p, then use Compressor to scale the Quicktimes up.

October 03, 2008 07:53PM
Thanks Jeff, I do have a Kona 3 but the footage is P2 and handed to me already transfered on a HD, my concern is upresing DVCPro 720 to 1080, would there be noticeable lose of quality?

Thanks

Harry
October 03, 2008 09:46PM
Yes, you will have a lost of quality, you may not notice it in FCP, but if you got a broadcast HD monitor for seeing your playback you will notice it right on the spot.

When im talking about a lost of quality, i mean if you compare with DVCPRO HD 1080i. If you put it in a HDV 1080i sequence i dont know which one will look better between the 2 formats.
October 05, 2008 02:36PM
Turn on frame controls in Compressor. It will take significantly longer but i think it does a pretty damn good job and up-compressing footage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics