deliver TV shows in High Definition

Posted by Lisha 
deliver TV shows in High Definition
October 09, 2008 11:02AM
Hello to all,

Two of the shows I edit are clip shows, where we are supplied footage from sources and then incorporate the footage into our shows. I've been delivering Standard Definition however stations have started asking about High Definition. The footage supplied to the shows is seldom HD.

Is it possible for me to deliver the shows to some of the stations in High Definition even though the footage was not originally shot using HD?

As always, thanks in advance!
Lisha

OS 10.5.4 / FCP 6.0.4
Dual 2.3 Ghz G5 / 5 GB SDRAM
Re: deliver TV shows in High Definition
October 09, 2008 12:12PM
Yes, it is. You need an HD Capture card that has the ability to upconvert SD to HD. The Kona 3 does this nicely, as does the Decklink series. But you really need to know what FORMAT of HD these networks require. D5? HDCAM? HDCAM SR? 720p59.94? 1080i29.97? 1080psf23.98?

Lots of options...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 09, 2008 12:24PM
Hi Shane,

Thanks so much!

So I should poll the stations re; HD format? We deliver up to 120 stations per airing. If different stations are asking for different formats, what would my workflow be?

If I have the SD to HD card can I also convert previously aired SD shows to HD?

Thanks again!

Lisha
October 09, 2008 01:40PM
Also, would I need a certain type of drive? I gave up on my CAEN RAID several months ago (http://www.lafcpug.org/phorum/read.php?1,200438,200438#msg-200438) and have been using a firewire drive. Is my dual 2.3 Ghz G5 okay with HD? OH, what deck would I use to output to? Right now I deliver to the post-house on DVCAM using a dsr-11 and the post-house makes a digi-beta for closed captioning.

Delivering HD is new to me so if I'm leaving anything out, please everyone chime in. smiling smiley

Lisha
October 09, 2008 01:47PM
most stations ask for HD tape but as many will accept an mov file in my experience.
October 09, 2008 01:49PM
Its not that this is tricky stuff but it does seem like a good idea to let the experts handle this. Assuming there is budget for it. Since you deliver in DVCam and have a relationship with a Post House let them do the up-res to all the formats. You will not be able to afford expensive HDCAM decks or similar so let them do it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 09, 2008 02:15PM
YOu will need better drives, yes. And a good working knowledge of HD. Michael is right, you need to let people who know this HD stuff handle it...or you need to learn this HD stuff, and not from a forum. Advice we can give, but serious real life workflow consultation is what you need here. Because you will not only have to invest in HD capture cards, HD monitors to view this HD footage (huge investment there), but then you need to rent HD decks and know how to use them...and they are a might more complex than SD decks...well beyond DV decks.

I know of a few places in town to go to for these services, capture and output of HD. Are you local, or visiting from afar?

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 09, 2008 02:49PM
I'm in Los Angeles. :-)

Lisha
October 09, 2008 03:02PM
Hi Wayne,

When a station accepts a .mov file how do you deliver? Do you put the file on a DVD?

Peace,
Lisha
October 09, 2008 03:06PM
You can try these guys here...
[www.lafcpug.org]

There's also Shane Ross..

www.strypesinpost.com
October 09, 2008 03:09PM
There is me...there is Clone Town on Cahuenga near Universal City, there is Alpha Dogs in Burbank...there is me...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 09, 2008 03:14PM
Besides Shane the link that Gerard gave you is very good resource.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 09, 2008 03:21PM
>Do you put the file on a DVD?

That's a LOT of DVDs for a decent HD format for a half hour/full hour ep... Hard drives. No question about it. And you need to check the kind of machine they're on to see if they can handle the codec you're sending.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 09, 2008 03:30PM
>there is me...

To add to Shane's great advice... eye rolling smiley There's a whole bunch of options you can go for the uprez depending on the budget, from the more expensive hardware converters (Snell & Wilcox), to capture cards (AJA, Blackmagic) to software conversions (Red Giant's Instant HD, Compressor)... But for the deck you plan to acquire... that's the other issue.. They're 1) expensive, and 2) there's less demand as cameras start adopting the tapeless workflow..

www.strypesinpost.com
October 10, 2008 10:00AM
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!
October 10, 2008 04:50PM
generally i just take an external drive into the station.
Anonymous User
October 10, 2008 11:17PM
yup. in FCP set your timeline to the HD format. when you import SD footage it will automatically upscale (or set your preferences). you can also use the Motion tab settings for the clip to position, scale and crop the SD clip within the HD frame. full-circle, if your sequence is in HD, when you export the format is HD. the SD footage will just look grainy/blurry on the TV if it is HD because it is upscaled.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics