10.5.5...maybe a problem here !

Posted by Francois-Michel 
10.5.5...maybe a problem here !
October 10, 2008 12:04AM
Since we updated a couple of our machines here we started to get some problems with external RAID Serial SATA tower. I don't know if its just a coincidence but we've been working for 4 years now with those kinda tower and never had any problems, but just this week two 8 TB tower crashed, sometime they mount sometime not. We replaced them by SAS tower and started to backup everything. Yesterday one drive of a Raid stripped set ( external swappable drives ) crashed.

It's PANIC TIME at my job right now ! We don't know if its because of OSX update or a SATA card drivers problem...or maybe we just got hit by a virus...could it be possible ?....MAC....?

QUESTION :
Since i'm the guy who format every single drives at my job and make every RAID set and build every tower i'm wondering if i format drives on previous version of OSX but those drives are gonna be used on newer version of OSX could there be an issue there ?

THX.
Re: 10.5.5...maybe a problem here !
October 10, 2008 05:56AM
>i'm wondering if i format drives on previous version of OSX but those drives are gonna
>be used on newer version of OSX could there be an issue there ?

I don't think so... OSX is basically the file system. It's otherwise known as HFS+.. No difference between OS versions. The file system has to remain the same (otherwise, you have SERIOUS compatibility issues when you work between machines).

>just this week two 8 TB tower crashed, sometime they mount sometime not.

Are you running internal RAIDs (8TB towers don't sound like a typical RAID 0 set up). Do a check in Console and see if anything's amiss.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 10, 2008 06:24AM
>OSX is basically the file system. It's otherwise known as HFS+..

Probably didn't come out the way you intended there Strypes, but of course OSX is not the file system at all ... OS X is the operating system, and operating systems and file systems are entirely different beasts. The filesystem is HFS+.
October 10, 2008 06:33AM
>Probably didn't come out the way you intended there Strypes

Yikes! My bad! I was talking about the format of the file system on the hard disk, not the OS...

OSX extended = HFS+

OSX= Tiger, Leopard, Panther, Tabby, Snowy.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 14, 2008 12:30AM
No strypes, the 2 towers were external towers, we did everything we could to save them.

In disk utility, there was only 7 drives detected.
We buyed Data Rescue 2 (great software) and techtool pro, didnt saw the missing drive.
And yes sadly they were RAID 0, can't do anything.

We buyed 2 new SAS tower formated in RAID 5 and started to backed up everything.
We called our Drives provider and he said that some of his others clients had problems too so maybe its a bad batch of drives...Sadly my enire trust was in Seagate but....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics