Final drive question... okay, for now

Posted by rickman 
Final drive question... okay, for now
October 11, 2008 06:19PM
Thanks so much for everybody's help.
Tell me how you think this will work.
Went to OWC - waaaay too many choices, but good price range options

Anybody have experience with the OWC Mercury Elite Pro enclosure? I am looking at the one with external power supply to minimize heat. Sounds practical doesn't it? About $65
The NEPTUNE model looks a little TOO economical.

The Macally models actually have some better pricing, opinions anyone?

Per recommendations, I am looking at the Seagate Barracuda 320 GB ultra ata/100. About $70. I picked this because its compatible with my Mac model and I can use it internally if I want to.

Are you guys actually editing ON these external drives?

I was thinking of using this to simply transfer file copies to my mac, edit on the mac internals, then transfer back to the external drive to take back to client. Is that an unnecessary step?

And you say I need a copy of Disk Warrior?

Many thanks folks, you're teaching me a lot this week.

Rick
in Memphis
Re: Final drive question... okay, for now
October 11, 2008 06:35PM
> I was thinking of using this to simply transfer file copies to my mac, edit on the mac internals,
> then transfer back to the external drive to take back to client. Is that an unnecessary step?

Depends on what format you're editing. For DV, this is absolutely a wasted step; just get a good FireWire 400 drive and work off that, and backup your project files on a regular, systematized basis.

If it's a more data-intensive format, say DVCPro HD or Uncompressed SD, get a FireWire 800 drive, or go the SATA route. And for those formats, you'll find that your internal drives will run out of space very quickly and copy times will be substantial, so that's yet another argument against the internal route.

www.derekmok.com
October 11, 2008 06:35PM
Y'know, Shane has a pretty good blog (despite the fact that he talks too much about the Avids these days...), and sometimes, you get stuff like this...

[lfhd.blogspot.com]

> I am looking at the one with external power supply to minimize heat.

That is practical, especially if you end up daisy chaining your drives (it's never adviseable, but sometimes it happens). You don't want everything to be tapping power from your mac.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 11, 2008 06:38PM
Hey Rick,

I don't know about the enclosure, but I have been working on Seagate Barracudas in all flavors for 12 years. Can't go wrong with those drives. I do most of my work these days on CalDigit Firewire VR enclosures with Hitachi drives. Love these units...hot swappable sleds & configurable RAID 0 / 1 (mirror protected)/ JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks). Handles Uncompressed SD / DVCPRO-HD / ProRes HQ (HD) nicely & I love the portability of the external triple interface (FW400 / FW800 / USB2).

You didn't mention what kind of work you would be doing (format / codec) and yes...have a copy of Disk Warrior in your toolbelt.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 11, 2008 07:41PM
Anybody have experience with the OWC Mercury Elite Pro enclosure?

I just bought one two weeks ago. Right now I just have one WD 500gb drive in it I use for storage. The drive stays very cool. So I would say that little fan is doing it's job.
October 11, 2008 08:07PM
I have been using the OWC Elite for over a year- works perfect-

I would suggest you get it equipped with both 400 and 800 firewire ports
October 12, 2008 06:07PM
i have several of these and never had a single issue:

[eshop.macsales.com]

i use the quad interface model just because i never know where a drive will be used an i like to be prepared.
October 13, 2008 12:08AM
I like the MaxxDigital Desktop drive...ALSO mentioned on my blog:

[lfhd.blogspot.com]

I LOVE Quad interface drives. And I can't wait until CalDigit's comes out (not yet listed on their site). At my last job they had about 16 ROCSTORs...

[www.rocstor.com]

I am also REALLY liking the latest Avid software, especially when it comes to interfacing with P2. SO THERE!

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 13, 2008 12:09PM
Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the MaxxDigital Desktop drive...ALSO
> mentioned on my blog:
>
> [lfhd.blogspot.com]
> tml
>
> I LOVE Quad interface drives. And I can't wait
> until CalDigit's comes out (not yet listed on
> their site). At my last job they had about 16
> ROCSTORs...
>
> [www.rocstor.com]
>
> I am also REALLY liking the latest Avid software,
> especially when it comes to interfacing with P2.
> SO THERE!

Native MXF is truly a shot over the bough. I would love to get my hands on Avid again.
October 13, 2008 12:23PM

Native MXF is truly a shot over the bough. I would love to get my hands on Avid again.

I'm going to have to ask you to stop firing at those poor trees. What did they ever do to you?

October 13, 2008 01:36PM
OK, so I'm not the nautical type. This must be a common misspelling: bow is correct. Not bough. Hey, I learned something. the finger smiley

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics