Graphics and Terms

Posted by J.Corbett 
Graphics and Terms
October 17, 2008 03:09PM
is there a rule a thumb for where text should or shouldn't be? like should the station ID always be in the bottom right or should the persons name always be at the left or right?

what is the difference between a bumper and a opening?

what is the transitional graphic called?

is the satiation ID ever referred to as a floater and if not what is a floater?

when you are showing what's coming next during a show is that considered a promo also?

when you are showing what's coming up this month a promo?

what are the 3 most accepted formats in broadcast other than dvd and tape?

when you are talking about a block of time ( 12 - 6 or 6 - 9 ) is it referred to as block or set.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Graphics and Terms
October 17, 2008 03:26PM
A simple google search will answer all these questions. When you find the answers post back to this thread so all will benefit.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 18, 2008 08:58AM
i have searched these but the answers are vague when trying to figure out why one would use them. As a person not dealing with broadcast day to day this answer would not tell me what i need to know.

me
what is the difference between a bumper and a opening?

bumper : Similar to a trailer except, on average, approximately ten seconds' worth of snippets from a film or simply a few lines of onscreen text including the title.

Floater is even more vague.

me

Now this discusion gets real interesting. It would seem that we are moving more towards BlueRay but as of now everything not compressed (- the dvd ) is accepted.
Its station sensitive so i asked this because there has to be 3 formats that are somewhat universal.

me
what is the transitional graphic called?

can not find this.

me
when you are talking about a block of time ( 12 - 6 or 6 - 9 ) is it referred to as block or set.

a friend of mind (who is know to be a * EDITED: LET'S KEEP IT CLEAN CORBETT *) says that, "a block is 3 hrs or more within a 24hr cycle". that makes since to me. But he also says that "a set is a group of shows that covers a block".

me
is there a rule a thumb for where text should or shouldn't be? like should the station ID always be in the bottom right or should the persons name always be at the left or right?

he say there is no rule that covers this other than station id being at the bottom period.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
October 18, 2008 12:41PM
>As a person not dealing with broadcast day to day

Maybe it's time to bring it to a post production facility, J. It's broadcast after all, and you don't want to rely on us Yahoos for that. We don't have a checklist of requirements, we don't know the project, we don't know the practices of the station, and we are not accountable for it. With the budget at hand, it's always good to hire a good professional to guide the project through.

Here are a bunch of great guys you could call up (including Shane Ross), and some of them may accept offers to fly to work in your area.

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.strypesinpost.com
October 20, 2008 08:38AM
Hi,
During a live or live to tape production, some stories or teases are called "floaters" because they may or may not be dropped from the show, depending on time allowed. If other stories or segments run long, they "float" because there is not time to use them where intended. They may be used in other segments later. That's why they are not "dead", they are "floating".

I've heard transitional graphics called an interstitial or a slam. You can always call them a transition smiling smiley

The rule about text . . . keep it off people's faces.

Terms get thrown around a lot. I've worked in a lot of different places as a technical director. Directors and producers will call things all kinds of weird stuff. It makes them feel smarter when you don't know WTF. Best thing . . . just ask them to describe what they are talking about and chances are you've already learned it in another "language".
October 20, 2008 09:47AM
thanx.
its a lot of terms that confuse the purpose if you don't have the definition. I at 1st thought a floater was the pop up advertising lower third.

i thought promo and teaser was the same in usage also.

""""
October 20, 2008 10:26AM
as noted terms can vary wildly network to network ... after you've worked in a few you'll quickly discover that although the names change the content stays much the same (usually crap)

google should get the answers you need as long as you know roughly what you're looking for, as none of this is secret handshake stuff ... fwiw here is one set of possible answers although by no means complete, definitive or even necessarily a correct for your context:

>is there a rule a thumb for where text should or shouldn't be?
keep text and graphics within the text safe area, and as above, just don't stick it over someones face

>like should the station ID always be in the bottom right or should the persons name always be at the left or right?
the location of a station ID is set by the station ... under normal circumstance you wouldn't stick it on yourself anywhere within program or promo content except on the endpage or inserts within your promo, and in those instances there are no rules for placement, thats just part of your endpage and inserts design

>what is the difference between a bumper and a opening?
a bumper usually is aired into and out of a break within a program whereas an opener airs only at the program open (and a closer at the end)

>what is the transitional graphic called?
a sting

>is the satiation ID ever referred to as a floater and if not what is a floater?
its often called a bug, never heard it called a floater ... thats usually found in the mens room
in news, floating video is a term sometimes used to describe edited picture content that can be rolled in to cover otherwise long and boring live interviews

>when you are showing what's coming next during a show is that considered a promo also?
well anything promoting programme content is a promo, but not sure that an animated up next bug or ducked up next announce within the credits or similar would be considered a promo in the traditional sense

>when you are showing what's coming up this month a promo?
yes

seriously? is a (video, not data) dvd an accepted format in broadcast now? man, it would have to be pretty darn compelling content before I would accept something on DVD !

a tease is usually an element within a show to promo content that will air later in the same show

hope some of that is helpful
October 20, 2008 10:28AM
Andy let the cat out of the bag regarding our secret handshake.

Andy is out of the club.

October 20, 2008 10:31AM
Yea! Someone forgot to spit the handshake...

www.strypesinpost.com
October 20, 2008 10:36AM
Andy is a "free the cats" activist.

Andy would never be a member of any club that would have him.
October 20, 2008 10:50AM
Maybe we should change the secret handshake...

www.strypesinpost.com
October 20, 2008 10:53AM
We already have. I'll PM you the new procedure. Bad news: You're going to need at least one additional thumb.

October 20, 2008 11:06AM
thanks andy that clears me up quite a bit. It helps me to improve my content layout/sequencing.

""""
October 20, 2008 06:09PM
A bit of triva for the Yanky doodler dandy boys out there...

A "bug" is also called a "DOG" - Digital On-screen Graphic (Esp. in the UK) and in Australia and New Zealand it is know as a "Watermark"

...I have my new thumb graft on Thursday, but it won't be fully working for a month or so (according to the surgeon). Can you email me the handshake step-by-step diagrams and I promise to learn it ahead of time.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 20, 2008 07:50PM
>is there a rule a thumb for where text should or shouldn't be?
keep text and graphics within the text safe area, and as above, just don't stick it over someones face

Yes in the latest Geico ad they did this to Aunt Jemima and she got quite upset ;-)

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
October 20, 2008 09:03PM
The lesson here is to keep text inside title safe and off of people's faces unless you really don't want to.

October 21, 2008 03:25AM
>The lesson here is to keep text inside title safe and off of people's faces unless you
>really don't want to.

And beware of huge close-ups. They generally do not provide sufficient space in the shot to insert text (I *urgh* had to do it once, when they shot an ep for a channel with a huge ticker running at the bottom of the screen)...

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics