Mac set up

Posted by NaylorM 
Mac set up
October 18, 2008 05:30PM
Can someone let me know if this is possible for a mac set up with 2 apple cinema displays and a TV monitor:

I would like to set up two apple cinema displays from one monitor output using a Y splitter, and then output to a TV monitor using the other output?

If this is not are there any other options...or do I have to buy aja card to run a third

Thanks
NaylorM
Re: Mac set up
October 18, 2008 05:52PM
You don't want to try piping a computer-monitor output to a broadcast monitor. You're going to need a video I/O board. I use a Kona LH for this, but I understand Blackmagic has some inexpensive I/O board options.

As for your graphics monitors, if your intention is to just have a second graphics monitor in the room, like for your client or something, then a 1:2 DVI distribution amp will do the job nicely. That way you can drive a second monitor somewhere else in the room that shows everything you're seeing in front of you, if you want your client to be able to see your timeline as you work or whatever. I don't know if that's a choice I'd make myself, but it's certainly possible.

October 18, 2008 11:18PM
What Jeff said; I'm pretty sure two monitors from a Y split will only give you a mirrored display- same port, same image. System won't detect the second display. You really need an Apple-blessed dual port card from ATI or NVIDIA to widen your display world.

Fortunately, for new systems, all Apple cards support dual display.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Apply your default audio transition instantly
with Command-Option - T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 19, 2008 12:58PM
So if I run to cinema displays from the monitor outpus and then add a Blackmagic HDMI slot and add the broadcast monitor from there I should be able to get all three going?

Thanks
Marco
October 19, 2008 01:36PM
That's how my room is set up. Except, as I said, I use a Kona instead.

October 19, 2008 02:44PM
My setup: 2x 23" Cinema Displays via graphics card + HDMI broadcast monitor via Blackmagic Intensity. Work's like a charm (most of the time).

Previously, I had a Matrox MXO. That didn't work out too well. It "mirrors" your second monitor to video out. Not a good choice unless you are specifically using only one main display for work.
Anonymous User
October 19, 2008 07:38PM
nope... if you have a mac pro, install an additional video card. if not, look for firewire video output devices.
October 20, 2008 12:03PM
Does this work while editing in FCP? Are you able to run the HDMI monitor in sync with the desktop canvas, both playing at the same time? If so, I may be able to do without the Aja board on my system because we are now going to digitize at the lab and we are not making tapes in the editing room, just exporting QuickTimes.
October 20, 2008 02:26PM
JoeE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does this work while editing in FCP? Are you able
> to run the HDMI monitor in sync with the desktop
> canvas, both playing at the same time? If so, I
> may be able to do without the Aja board on my
> system because we are now going to digitize at the
> lab and we are not making tapes in the editing
> room, just exporting QuickTimes.

Yep, it's designed to do just that (and works with AE&Photoshop too)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics