Anyone using a HACKENTOSH?

Posted by Ed Green 
Anyone using a HACKENTOSH?
October 21, 2008 03:18PM
Hell o all,

I am seeing more adds for PC boxes with OSX leopard pre-installed.

What could this mean?

Will FCP run well on this kind of setup?

Any info will be appreciated.

BTW you get a heck of a lot of computer to run leopard on for peanuts this way, but...?
Re: Anyone using a HACKENTOSH?
October 21, 2008 03:22PM
Mac OS X is only licensed to run on computers built and sold by Apple. Legally, no other company can sell computers with Mac OS X on them. And legally, you can't install Mac OS X on any other computers.

October 21, 2008 03:44PM
>BTW you get a heck of a lot of computer to run leopard on for peanuts

1. It isn't gonna be peanuts. The price of gettting the parts to work together aren't cheap.

2. It isn't gonna be easy

3. As Jeff mentioned, it isn't legit, so you may have problems with updates, and not be able to get proper support for it, etc...

www.strypesinpost.com
October 21, 2008 03:50PM
3b. And, oh by the way, it's wrong. When you choose to use Mac OS X, you accept the terms under which Apple sold it to you. One of those terms is that you agree not to try to run it on a non-Apple computer. If you don't want to hold up your end of that bargain, you're free to use Windows or something. Or paper and a pencil. Or anything at all besides a Mac.

October 21, 2008 03:58PM
I don't like the whole concept of this idea. Trying to run the Mac OS on anything other than what it was designed run on is a basement-dwellin' glue-sniffin' Capt'n Crunch-eatin' hacker mentality & just plain supercheap.

CHEAP + CHEAP = CHEAP

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 21, 2008 04:00PM
Yeah, that's another side of it that just makes no sense to me. If you leave out the part where it's just flat-out wrong, it's still dumb. "Penny-wise and pound-foolish," as they used to say.

October 21, 2008 04:03PM
It's like a science fair project gone terribly wrong. Ever go to a carnival as a kid and go into the "FREAKS" tent? See 2-headed babies in a jar of pickle juice? That's EXACTLY what this reminds me of. Something UNNATURAL.

October 21, 2008 04:03PM
Haha. I have a slightly different opinion... I see it a challenge to DIY. Buying it ready-made is different. That's just penny pinching cheap.

Also, to use it on a paying project is just too risky (ethics aside)... Something can go wrong somewhere and you don't want your software crapping out on you midway.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 21, 2008 04:05PM
Editing stations need maintenance all the time. If you use an unsupported combination of software and hardware, you're just taking the risk that your machine will stop working in a few months. And you won't be able to get much help from authorized dealers or even fellow editors.

Play by the rules. It's worth it.

www.derekmok.com
October 21, 2008 04:06PM
I would call it "FRANKENTOSH"...composed of junkyard PC parts that were not meant to be used together with a Mac OS brain.

October 21, 2008 04:07PM
The linux people tend to get along with this pretty well, because Mac OS-X is basically Debian Linux in a very fancy box. You need to be one of these people because you need to compile custom device drivers into the OS kernel if you want to start from a naked box and a purchased license.

If you start with a pre-built, you will not be able to perform auto updates, see: linux, so you're buying a frozen box. The first time a critical Apple Security Update goes by, you get to wave at it because you can create significant damage if you try and install it.

Nobody I know has ever gotten sound to work right on those or Linux machines.

Oh, right. Sound.

That and all the other objections. See above.

Koz
October 21, 2008 04:08PM
"Once you go MAC - you never go back"

October 21, 2008 04:10PM
> "Once you go MAC - you never go back"

Yeah...tell that to my musician friend who repaired her PC laptop something like five times in less than three years. Including a monitor repair that lasted about six months. Costs aside, I think she was able to use her computer without problems maybe 50 per cent of the time. Ho ho ho.

www.derekmok.com
October 21, 2008 04:12PM

Mac OS-X is basically Debian Linux in a very fancy box.

It's possible that a more utterly wrong statement has been made at some point in history, but I'm having trouble thinking of one right now. Mac OS X is "basically" Linux to the extent that a MacBook Pro is "basically" a Frisbee.

October 21, 2008 04:26PM
Rules aside, the main reasons why you get a mac for editing, is 1) Final Cut/Adobe apps, 2) stability, 3) performance, 4) updates.

Running a Hackintosh may allow you to run Final Cut, but warranty on the hardware will likely be void, and you're unlikely to get the other important necessities required from a workstation. You're probably better off with iMovie... Uh... make that Vegas.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 21, 2008 04:28PM
<<<Linux to the extent that a MacBook Pro is "basically" a Frisbee.>>>

One of the Systems Administrators insists on setting up our production Macs from Terminal and a command line. Sometimes from his desk. Just like all the Linux setups in the building.

On the other hand, there's a lot to be said for Frisbees®. Did you know they make one that glows in the dark? You want to drive your dog nuts? Throw a glowing one across the field in the dark.

This doesn't work with cats.

Koz
October 21, 2008 04:31PM
By that reasoning, Mac OS X is "basically" IRIX, too. Because the guy who managed the Discreet systems at the place where I freelanced a couple times did exactly the same thing.

Please don't perpetrate the ridiculous myth that Mac OS X is the same as Linux. They both have the same distant ancestor, but Mac OS X is a supermodel rocket-scientist, and Linux is a drooling savant with horrible body odor.

October 21, 2008 04:44PM
<<<By that reasoning, Mac OS X is "basically" IRIX, too. Because the guy who managed the Discreet systems at the place where I freelanced a couple times did exactly the same thing. >>>

Funny you should say that. I think we finally got rid of our last IRIX machine (thank goodness). I guess you go with what you know. This did create a little hassle because occasionally they would change something on the command line that didn't have an analog in the graphic interface, and it would kill us dead.

I don't know that the ancestors of OS-X are all that ancient or fuzzy.

"--Jobs forced out of Apple at mid-80s, the rise and fall of NeXT and how NeXT now lives within the (also) BSD-based MacOSX."

I think if I was going to buy a Fake Mac, I would miss the Diesel operated cooling fans cranking up when I do a memory check.

Get's your attention.

Koz
October 21, 2008 05:34PM
I built a Hacintosh...VERY cheap. $300. Oh, and $129 for the monitor. And my kids helped. After all, this is the kids machine. They can abuse it all they want. Within limits.

But this has to be done with VERY specific parts. And you have to install a HACKED version of the OS. In fact, I didn't know how to install the OS, nor set up the BIOS to properly recognize the components I used. For that I used a computer expert friend of mine. So, truth be told, this is for the REALLY technical people who know IN DEPTH how PCs work. Not for joe schmo like me.

Do I run FCP on it? Well, yeah, it works, just fine. Motion too. Just installed it to see if it would. The kids use iMovie.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 21, 2008 06:37PM
As a hobbyist, I've built more than 6 hackintoshes (it's Hackintosh, like Macintosh)... for fun - and I will tell you right now - unless you really know what you are doing and like to tinker, and can afford to be without your computer when something goes wrong, don't build a Hackintosh.

You do really get to know and understand the OS and hardware when you build one, though... and it was kind of addicting - once I built one and it worked, I wanted to build another. But Seriously, Apple has NOTHING to fear from frankenhacks... Joe Average computer user will never build/buy one. For the Apple Experience?, accept nothing less than a true Mac...

But it was fun...

Patrick
October 21, 2008 10:34PM
So we went from a misspelled but otherwise innocent question through to some Popes arguing about the need to question why you would want the earth to go around the sun (How dare you even conceive of the idea of thinking of such a thing!) through a diversion to discuss the origins of OS X in BSD UNIX and some old school Mac vs PC flamebait but with Linux subbing for PC and then on to some matter-of-fact "why yes I did build a rocket in my basement, but it was hard and it wasn't a lot of fun and I don't think anyone will want to imitate me" statements...

...all in one thread.

I bow before thee oh Deities of the InterNetWebTubeTimeVortex of Futility.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 21, 2008 10:35PM
Yes, god forbid there should be a variety of opinions. ;-)

October 21, 2008 10:43PM
Andrew Kines Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and then
> on to some matter-of-fact "why yes I did build a
> rocket in my basement, but it was hard and it
> wasn't a lot of fun and I don't think anyone will
> want to imitate me" statements...
>
I imitated him! Me! ME!

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 21, 2008 10:45PM
For what it's worth I am keeping an eye on those new netbooks that Asus and Lenovo have out. The Lenovo S10 has an express card slot, I have express card audio devices. A basic Netbook with an SSD drive or even high speed compact flash cards and I could build a small cheapo multi channel location audio system. Hackintosh or XP, whatevs, but I am leaning towards Hackintosh. You've given me hope Shane.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Anonymous User
October 23, 2008 11:26AM
please stay away. any pro will put out the cash for the apple. you'll need tech support at least once in your experience for the computer or software in the life of the machine. get the good stuff, not worth the hassle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics