Using the 'time re-mapping' tool

Posted by jwilliam 
Using the 'time re-mapping' tool
October 25, 2008 11:19PM
I'm playing around with the time-remapping tool, and something seems to be eluding me.

It's cool, and I like using it... but something still isn't working quite right.

I want to have an effect where a shot starts off in fast motion for 10-12 frames, then ramps down to normal speed. Normally, I do this by building the fast motion effect shot for 12 frames, then match cutting to the normal clip.

When I use the 'time remap' tool, it seems like I should be able to do this in a fluid motion. Unfortunately, when I shift the clip to "speed left 400%", the speed right always goes down to zero or negative numbers.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to set 2 keyframes? What's the smoothest way to work this?

Jeff
Re: Using the 'time re-mapping' tool
October 26, 2008 07:07AM
Yes, you need to set two keyframes. One at the point where you want the speed ramp to end, and the other where the speed ramp is supposed to start. Frankly, I find the time remapping tool a little clunky. I used it once, and that was it.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: Using the 'time re-mapping' tool
October 26, 2008 08:31AM
If you want to match cut from footage at one speed to footage at another speed, you're doing it the right way; just use an edit.

The time remapping tool is for simulating in-camera speed ramps, where the frame rate doesn't click from one setting to another, but gradually changes over time. Seen any Wes Anderson movies lately? He loves to use an in-camera speed ramp during the closing sequence of his films, where the action in a wide shot (I think it's a dolly shot in "Rushmore"winking smiley starts out at normal speed, then over a second or so slows down to slow-motion.

Most digital cameras don't support in-camera speed ramps, so the effect can be faked by shooting everything at high speed, then adding the ramp in post. What you're describing is the reverse; you're shooting everything at normal speed, but simulating an undercrank and then ramping up to normal speed.

The key idea is that time remapping is really for speed changes over time, not for abrupt changes. For that, it's easier to do what you said: Just match-cut two clips at different speeds together, and the action will snap from one speed to the other.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics