Quick 'n' dirty way to go from 16:9 to 4:3 for YouTube

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Quick 'n' dirty way to go from 16:9 to 4:3 for YouTube
October 29, 2008 02:12AM
I shot a number of hours of footage on a workshop in Canada recently, using a Canon HV-30, shooting wide screen (16:9), recorded onto the HDV type mini-DV tapes, at the standard definition setting.

Now, after reading Philip Hodgett's excellent "TheHDSurvivalHandbook", I realise that it's best if I prepare the best quality 320 x 240 pixel SD video I can---but that means some kind of mask to reduce the 16:9 to 4:3.

These YouTube clips will be short (3-4'), so I am assuming my best workflow is to L&C, either from my deck (DSR-11) if it will do this (the camera is brand new and I have not tested the workflow yet) or by Capture Now via FW straight into FCP 6; edit at 16:9, and then mask to 4:3 (using full height of the video) before outputting.

Is there a better way?

TIA, KL
Re: Quick 'n' dirty way to go from 16:9 to 4:3 for YouTube
October 29, 2008 03:55AM
Sounds like that info is a bit out of date. You Tube will very happily accept 16:9 video and in fact for watching in full screen mode, it's far better that you keep it 16:9 rather than letterbox it.

I'd advise you do an export at 640x360 and upload that. Remember to deinterlace!

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
Anonymous User
October 29, 2008 10:42AM
Hello Martin,

That's interesting. I was quoting Phil's tutorial here (I see now that it's dated March 2007):

"YouTube converts everything that is uploaded to Flash 7 video at 320 x 240."

I will ask Phil to look at that, to see if that's still current.

What you suggest is good news, especially as the little Canon has a 25p mode, too, in HDV, that I would like to experiment with.

So, now talking about future projects that will end up on YouTube (short clips), iTunes for download, and DVD for distribution, may I have suggestions for workflow, from folk here who do this? Or are there tutorials anyone can recommend? I have a standard def. GY500 with a broadcast wide zoom that I have been using for educational DVDs, but bought the baby Canon for shooting the YouTube clips, and to play with the HDV format to sort out an efficient workflow.

My deck (DSR-11) can't handle HDV, so my original intention had been to downconvert in-camera to wide-screen DV and record on DV tapes in standard def. Would it be better to record HDV in camera, and simply use the camera to play out and Capture Now in FCP, keep an HDV workflow for the edit, and then use Compressor to output the different end products?

any help here at the planning stage is much appreciated.

cheers, kl
October 29, 2008 12:54PM
Like digitalheave said.

Look at what he is talking about

LDB Campaign 30 sec. spot
Use h.264 at 3000 mbits

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida

[www.DouglasVillalba.info]
[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
Anonymous User
October 29, 2008 03:29PM
Very nice, Douglas, especially at full screen. Thanks for that.
October 29, 2008 06:51PM
I am glad it helped

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
Miami, Florida

[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
October 29, 2008 07:21PM
>>Like digitalheave said. <<

Wow, you miss one little letter and the meaning changes so much. Martin's gonna love that one. winking smiley

October 29, 2008 07:24PM
"Digitalheave"?

So it's yet another occasion for...

www.derekmok.com
October 29, 2008 08:41PM
I am sorry about that digitalheaven.

Cubans are known for eating letters off of words. It runs in the blood.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
Miami, Florida

[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics