Sony XDCAM EX storage rates.....

Posted by Ewoo 
Sony XDCAM EX storage rates.....
October 29, 2008 10:53AM
I have been searching and searching for the following information (can't believe it is so difficult to find!!!):

I need to know the data storage requirements for SONY XDCAM EX footage, 23.98 1080P, at HQ 35mbs.

So I am looking for how many GBs per hour or MBs per minute of storage is required.

Is there a comprehensive chart anywhere online that lists all codecs / formats and their data rates and storage requirements? I wasn't even able to find the info on the Sony site.

Thanks in advance

EW
Re: Sony XDCAM EX storage rates.....
October 29, 2008 11:04AM
Man you wrote it already in your question ... the bit that says 35mbs means 35 megabits per second. you can easily do the math.

...or there's always [www.videospaceonline.com]
October 29, 2008 11:06AM
>35mbs

35 divided by 8 = 4.375 MB/s That would be the raw data rate of the video without audio.. I'll probably estimate somewhere around 5 MB/s including audio.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 29, 2008 11:08AM
Geez! how did Andy reply so fast? Was it the new thumb?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 29, 2008 11:13AM
Thanks for the prompt replies.....

So I take it from what you say that the fact that we will be shooting 23.98 (not 29.97) and progressive (not interlaced), will have zero effect on the data storage requirements. Presumably the system works by giving you less compression when you reduce frame rates and shoot progressive, rather than reducing the data rate......is this correct?

EW
October 29, 2008 11:14AM
Go download yourself a copy of Bitrate Pro. It can tell you that an hour of 35 Mbps footage will take up about 15 GB, or about 250 MB per minute, or about five terabytes per fortnight, or whatever you decide you want to know. It's a very handy little tool.

October 29, 2008 11:18AM
No, that's not necessarily correct. The thing about XDCAM, unlike something like HDV or DVCPRO HD, is that it's a variable-bit-rate codec. Thirty-five megabits is the maximum data rate. The actual data rate will vary depending on a ridiculous number of factors.

Just do your math based on the maximum rate, because that will give you your ceiling for figuring out storage requirements and such. Your actual storage required is guaranteed not to exceed 35 Mb times the number of seconds of footage.

October 29, 2008 11:36AM
Thanks Jeff....

Makes it very clear....also that calculator is very handy.....I downloaded it and used it already.....

Would be nice if there was a version for my iphone smiling smiley

EW
October 30, 2008 12:17AM
Out of experience I can say that the capture time on our EX-1 is fairly consistent regardless of what resolution or frame rate we capture in. That is, 1080p24 will record the same amount of time on an 8 gig card as 720p24. I have seen a fairly consistent 28 minutes per 8 gig card, which I typically use as my measure to how much space I will need for a given project.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics