Color Correction Workflow

Posted by Chuck Spaulding 
Color Correction Workflow
November 09, 2008 01:15PM
We recently switched to XDCAM HD and are doing away with tape and most of the ancillary equipment that goes alone with it.

Having said that, what's a good cost effect workflow for color correcting HD? What would be a good flat panel monitor to use? Since we will no longer have a Kona3 (SDI-HD) to feed it can we use DVI directly out of the ATI X1900?

Anyone using the Sony LMD4250W 42-inch WUXGA High Grade LUMA Monitor or the Sony FWDS42H1 42inch Full HD LCD?

How about the BlackMagic Intensity card? Or would I need an MXO2?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Color Correction Workflow
November 09, 2008 01:35PM

Since we will no longer have a Kona3 (SDI-HD) to feed it can we use DVI directly out of the ATI X1900?

I wouldn't do that...chances are that will not match your output. For accurate color correction, you have to have the signal monitored from your I/O device whatever that is. I have my Kona LHe to a KL-Box (breakout box) with a monitor out from the KL-Box so I see the exact signal that is going to whatever deck I connect to it.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 09, 2008 02:59PM
Joe that's part of my dilemma, there is no longer a deck to go out to. We will be delivering LO4 tapes for Blu-ray mastering or to IVC for output for broadcast - which is certainly where I see a potential for problems.

That is also why I asked about the Intensity Card. I purchased one to capture HDV to DVCProHD but HDMI does not support TC and I could not get, nor could I find anyone else who could, a work around for that problem.

Unfortunately we are moving into a new building and adding more edit bays and the decision was made to go tapeless. My first thought was cool, but then after thinking about it a bit more I realized this might be more difficult than I thought.

Hence my question...
November 09, 2008 03:22PM
Joe, did you, Shane or both of you beta test the MXO and/or MXO2?

If you did what do you think of the MXO2?

Just by reading through the literature it appears that the MXO2 might be what I'm looking for.

It would be helpful [for me at least] if anyone who has experience with the MXO2 could share their thoughts.

Thanks
November 09, 2008 08:29PM
MXO out to that via DVI might work (although the Sony's were the worse looking of the HD monitors I saw at NAB last year). If that has DVI in. If you are not delivering for broadcast but rather only DVD. But...you mentioned broadcast. For that you need a broadcast LCD...the one you linked to isn't one.

I haven't tested the MXO 2. I have been asked but I haven't had the machine to spare for it...it is busy with a Kona 3. But the MXO 2 only sends bars to an HDMI monitor, while the MXO sends bars to DVI. Unless you can properly calibrate a monitor to bars, then it is pretty useless for broadcast.

Decklink would work. Cheap.

But if you are CCing for broadcast, gotta get a broadcast HD monitor. eCinema has good ones.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 09, 2008 08:31PM
Oh...wait. SHUT UP SHANE. That is a pro HD LCD. Or is it? 42"? Might be a pro monitor, but for client, not color correction. But the Sony's still looked crappy compared to the rest.

I stand by the eCinema...24" model is decent.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
November 09, 2008 11:18PM
Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
But the MXO 2 only sends bars to an HDMI monitor, while the MXO sends bars to DVI. Unless you can properly calibrate a monitor to bars, then it is pretty useless for broadcast.

Decklink would work. Cheap. But if you are CCing for broadcast, gotta get a broadcast HD monitor. eCinema has good ones.

--------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Shane, although I'm not sure I understand what your getting at?

Here's what Matrox claims about the MXO2 "HD and SD inputs and outputs HDMI monitor calibration? Matrox MXO2 lets you adjust and control your HDMI monitor exactly like you would a broadcast HD/SD monitor. Controls for hue, chroma, contrast, brightness, and blue-only are provided. This unique control gives you completely accurate color representation so that you can use your HDMI monitor even for color grading."

So it appears that the MXO2 provides enough control to calibrate a monitor to bars. The part of your response that confuses me is what's the difference between calibrating to bars via HDMI vs. DVI? Isn't the DVI output RGB?

The eCinema FX-40 LCD Monitor is reasonably priced.
November 10, 2008 12:47AM
It is the same thing...same interface for setting the monitor to bars via HDMI. I just don't consider TV monitors with HDMI as color correction monitors for broadcast. DVD release, sure.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
November 10, 2008 10:29AM
Guess what? You still need a capture card for displaying HD properly. I would've kept the Kona 3 so you can be ready for any production.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
November 10, 2008 02:29PM
Isn't the MXO2 a capture card? In the same way that the Aja io HD is?

In fact if you can believe the literature it has far more goes intos and goes outtas than the Kona3. I guess what I'd like to hear from someone I trust on this forum is that it works as advertised.
November 10, 2008 02:33PM
The main thing with the MXO 2 is that, like Decklink cards, it relies on the computer CPU and GPU to handle all of the capturing and heavy lifting...whereas the AJA cards manage this all in hardware. Even the AJA I/O HD...the ProREs excoder is on board the box, not relying on the computer. This makes the AJA's more expensive...but they do the brunt of the heavy lifting.

NOt knocking the MXO 2...just saying what the differences are. I'd love to test it now that my machine is free from work.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
November 10, 2008 03:52PM
I agree, however a significant difference is that the reason the Aja ioHD does the heavy lifting is because it HAS to. It is connected via firewire and that is way too narrow a pipeline to transfer any significant amount of data. I was very surprised to see that the ioHD was a firewire device.

Whereas the MXO2 is a PCie device and can therefore handle significantly more data, they calim it works with uncompressed HD.

As far as using the CPU/GPU to convert to ProRes for example, that kind of thing has been done for quite a while on PC's with codec's like Cineform for example. It works great.

If you get the chance please do test the MXO2, myself and others would love to hear your thoughts.
November 11, 2008 10:30AM
Problem is, I don't know one person that has one. The MX02 is so new, it will take awhile for it reaches critical mass, so the info you seek is going to be scarce. Everyone I know has a BMD or AJA card that is serious about post. So, I'd go with what works right now.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
November 12, 2008 01:03PM
I've been beta testing and using MXO2 since day 1 and in fact was showing it at a couple of my sessions last week at DV Expo.

MXO2 is an excellent choice for HD since it has virtually every i/o you could imagine. In addition, it comes with both PCIe and Express34 card allowing you to use it with MacPro or MacBook Pro.

Yes, it is possible to color-calibrate LCD or Plasma TVs through HDMI. Put up the bars in FCP and use the calibration utility within MXO2. Of course, it is still a consumer TV and should not be confused with a professional SDI monitor. But the point is, it does work and is certainly more accurate than monitoring HD on the computer screen.

I've been very happy with it for its purposes. It is both a portable and desktop unit and handles everything up to 1080p. Unlike Kona 3, it is not a 2K card. But it is $1K less than a Kona 3 and is well deserving a spot in the marketplace.

Ned Soltz
November 14, 2008 08:34PM
Thanks for the info Ned.

Shane have have you had a chance to test the MXO2?

A big hesitation I have for purchasing any Matrox products is the spotty past between them and Apple. It seemed that every time Matrox comes out with a new product Apple makes a change to either their OS or hardware that takes some of the thunder out of whatever innovation Matrox was going for.

The product relationship between Aja and BlackMagic seems to be more solid, but neither the Kona 3 - i/o HD, or the Multi Bridge seem to have the ability to "calibrate" to bars the way the MXO2 does.
November 15, 2008 06:40PM
I haven't tested the MXO 2 yet...but I will be getting it next week. As well as a new MacBook Pro.

Flush with new toys...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
November 16, 2008 11:06PM
Cool, looking forward to hearing about it.
November 23, 2008 12:32PM
Shane,

Have you had the opportunity to evaluate the MXO2?

If so what did you think?

If you let us know I'll buy you a drink, and if your over 21 it can even have alcohol in it!
November 23, 2008 05:26PM
Hasn't arrived yet. I poked Matrox to remind them. This is an EVAL unit, so there are protocols that need to be followed.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
November 23, 2008 08:15PM
Hey, I'll buy them a drink too!
November 23, 2008 09:33PM
Shane, not that this has anything to do with FCP etc., but I'm going to be visiting my in laws in Missoula and I understand your from around there.

Its a great place. I really love flying low up the Bitterroot Valley. We just got back in July.

Anyway, probably more than you wanted to know but I thought I would mention this.
November 23, 2008 09:53PM
I am from around there. I was just there this summer myself, ALSO in July. My dad lives there and is considered "local color." Dirk Lee if you happen to ask around.

I hit Missoula and points north, like Ronan and Polson. Flathead Lake is home to me.

Enjoy the SNOW! If they have it.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics