DVD duplicator

Posted by Outdated Mac user 
DVD duplicator
November 20, 2008 12:23AM
My Mac's DVD burner is on its last legs. I am looking for recommendations on an inexpensive DVD duplicator that can help me make copies from the few masters I can still churn out on my outdated Mac. What works for you?
Re: DVD duplicator
November 20, 2008 03:29AM
Are we talking a standard DVD burner for your mac or did you mean a standalone DVD duplicator? I think you mean a standard DVD drive... well it depends on your mac, what are you using? A good place to check out is OWC [www.otherworldcomputing.com]
November 20, 2008 07:19AM
If you want quick mass duplications (well up to 10 at a time) check out Disk Maker's web site

Disk Makers Duplicator

We've been very happy with the machine - There are others that duplicate and print 50 to 500 at a time but they take much longer because they are simply automating the burning and printing - one at a time.

We use the Diskmakers tower (7 at a time) it sits by our editor - so we can keep editing - when one batch is done - stick another 7 in - keep editing - when they're all done we use a primera mass printer to print them all. Very efficient.

Andy
November 20, 2008 08:16AM
I've got an Aleratec one-to-one duplicator that I picked up from B&H for a few hundred bucks. It works like a champ. There are also bigger models ? one to two, one to four, whatever ? if you need to make more dubs at one time.

November 20, 2008 07:59PM
I should have clarified: I am looking for a standalone DVD duplicator. I will look into all the options you have recommended. What I really want is a Primera, which duplicates and prints full color onto DVDs, but that runs close to $1,500.
November 20, 2008 10:19PM
im with jeff. i have a stand-alone, aleratec 7-disc duplicator and in several thousand dupes i think maybe 2 have reported errors. and that was likely due to disc media and not the unit.

from my experience, those primera "do it all" units are too slow to be worth it. yes, you can load up 100 discs and come back the next day and theyre done. but they are SO slow.

i have three epson stylus photo 1400's and that 7 disc aleratec and i can get out 100 discs duped and printed in about 3 manned hours.
November 20, 2008 10:32PM
Hi, Wayne:

Do you know if the Disk Maker Reflex 1 is worthwhile? It is a 1:1 duplicator which etches onto the DVD using something called LiteScribe. This requires special DVDs and a USB 2.0 connect for Mac hookup. What I like about this - apart from the really low price - is that you can etch the DVD for only $100 more.
November 20, 2008 11:22PM
lightscribe is a TOTAL joke. its only a mono-chromatic (actually, it's zero chromatic to be honest)

light scribe literally etches a monochromatic image on the discface. kinda like shiny brass over dull brass - personally i dont know who the hell is buying that crap!

so no. i dont think the reflex is good. its kinda slow, it requires special discs and its kinda pricey for what it actually produces.

here is what my setup costs.

aleratec 1:7 $1400
3 epson 1400: 1125
disc printing software (because epsons software BLOWS ASS!) - $40

total $2565

i personally wouldnt buy a duplicator that required a computer to operate. i prefer standalones. about the only benefit of the reflex is that you can load it and walk away. but with light scribe - what do you walk away with? CRAP!
November 21, 2008 12:29AM
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the Light Scribe b/c you gotta buy special DVDs and the pix weren't great in the promo material.

I'm gonna look into Aleratec, others have also recommended. Thanx.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics