workflow for final cut pro project to after effects PC

Posted by rjoe11 
workflow for final cut pro project to after effects PC
November 22, 2008 08:00PM
What's the most efficient way to work with FCP edits to After Effects on PC? I've exporting out high res quicktimes (animation codec) that seem to work ok, but they are huge files (4 mins is about 25gb).

any thoughts on a better workflow between the 2 platforms? other than getting the PC people to work AE on a MAC. Thanks!
Re: workflow for final cut pro project to after effects PC
November 23, 2008 12:29AM
Are you doing a lot of this? Because Automatic Duck is your ticket to ride.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Cycle bin views with Shift - H !!

The FCS2 PowerPack -
Now available at discount at the LAFCPUG Store!
Re: workflow for final cut pro project to after effects PC
November 23, 2008 10:07AM
Depends on your FCP timeline codec. Why would you need a entire 4 minute file from After Effects? What you should be doing is treating only needed clips.

I personally export Animation files for one reason - super clean grafix with embedded Alpha Channels. It is the best codec for this use - file size be damned. If I don't need alpha channels and since I export cuts for treatment to a PC AE machine from a PC Avid, I use the Avid DNxHD codec @ 145 which is a much smaller file than Animation codec. I have these codecs installed on all my machines so I can read it on Mac & PC. FCP will see the Avid files...just set the timeline to the ProRes codec & render (pretty quick). Workflows between Mac & PC are ridiculous, but a necessary evil. Here is where you download the free Avid codec package (scroll to the bottom of the page to see the MAC & PC download files I listed below):

[avidtechnology.custhelp.com]

Avid Codecs LE 1.10 MAC.dmg
Avid Codecs LE 1.10 PC.zip

...and yes...this sounds elitist, but getting the PC peeps to work on AE on a Mac is the way to go. There are so many more choices of hi res codecs to choose from and the workflow is much more efficient IMHO. We are dumping our 4 PC Avids for Macs this month for the main reason that going back & forth between Mac & PC kills us time wise. The workflow is a log jam. Automatic Duck is a viable option as well.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics