cutting a demo reel

Posted by Dean R 
cutting a demo reel
November 23, 2008 11:20PM
I'm going to cut a demo reel for a cinematographer. I'll be ripping scenes from commercial DVDs of movies he's shot, using Mac the Ripper and Streamclip, then just burning a DVD of the edited reel.

I'm just wondering if there's a consensus about the best codec to use. I'll be adding some titles, so maybe I should avoid DV?

thanks,

Dean
Re: cutting a demo reel
November 24, 2008 10:33AM
> I'm just wondering if there's a consensus about the best codec to use. I'll be adding some titles, > so maybe I should avoid DV?

Video quality is only one consideration. Do you have a setup that's fast enough and has sufficient storage for Uncompressed SD footage?

I've cut reels for cinematographers, editors, actors...and DV has always been good enough, because people are watching the larger picture. And because my clients tended not to want to invest in more expensive equipment (I get them to buy a drive to store their materials, because they often come back to me for recuts after months have elapsed). This is really a conversation with your client to see what he wants to do. My clients may have different demands from yours.

www.derekmok.com
Re: cutting a demo reel
November 24, 2008 10:51AM
My friend the DP just wants a good looking DVD, the rest is up to me. Uncompressed SD is not a good option for my home system, but I've always been unhappy with how titles look In DV. I've never used ProRes, is that a good choice?

Also, I know this isn't an MPEG Streamclip forum, but I've never done this before, and there are a lot of variables.

All the DVDs are major studio releases, so they should be progressive, anamorphic at 23.98, I think.

Does it matter if I choose to export the quicktimes from Streamclip as anamorphic, or can I set the files as anamorphic in FCP?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics