Spent LaCie's

Posted by Phil UK 
Spent LaCie's
December 11, 2008 03:28AM
My GTech 1tb RAID fell off my desk, made a huge crashing noise then re-started without so much as a whimper of pain and life went on. On my desk I have just noticed a row of LaCie drives all awaiting recycling.
Re: Spent LaCie's
December 11, 2008 07:13AM
lacie is the drive you get when you want to see what a bad drive is like.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
December 11, 2008 02:13PM
I've kept my useless burned out LaCie as a reminder never to buy another.

DK
December 11, 2008 02:57PM
Strange. I own nothing but G-Techs and have had nothing but trouble with all of them. Nevertheless I continue to buy G-Tech drives.

I wonder if this is part of a huge brainwashing operation and if I am the only one who always, out of the six that I own, has one of them going back to G-Tech about every 4 months.

Harry

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
December 11, 2008 10:29PM
at least its not a lacie, harrysmileys with beer

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
December 11, 2008 10:30PM
Another opinion: I primarily use G-Tech Drives - they have been good to me - 1 failure out of about 60. LaCie? Third awaiting data recovery out of SIX. Also, the G-Drive guys were on it in helping me to recover data. LaCie? They don't do recovery at all ... only replacement. I would concur with the avoid LaCie idea ...

Troy
December 12, 2008 05:04AM
My row of LaCie's look like the mothball Soviet naval fleet in Vladivostok.
December 12, 2008 10:29AM
I just had my first LaCie dying on me after 5 years of good services.

I wonder if it is the drive inside or the enclosure's connection (bridge) ... power plug ?

which one is more often faulty in your experience ?

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
December 12, 2008 10:43AM
> I wonder if it is the drive inside or the enclosure's connection (bridge) ... power plug?

I think a good number of people in here have named the enclosure as the problem. While Lacies have tended to use poor-quality drives inside (Maxtors), a lot of people have mentioned taking a dead Lacie, extract the drive, couple it with another enclosure and make it work again.

www.derekmok.com
December 12, 2008 11:04AM
So I will try to bring back to life one of them (enclosure or drive)

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
December 12, 2008 12:07PM
We have had luck with changing the enclosure ...

Troy Christian

G5 Quad, 8GB RAM, FCP HD Suite 2 6.0.5, OSX 10.5.6
AJA LHe card
December 12, 2008 04:49PM
Case for sure; one student's LaCie went dead-- simply wouldn't spin up-- because she'd stored it in her car trunk between sessions and hadn't insulated it for shock. The case was opened and the terminals reconnected-- they'd been shaken loose.

I think that qualifies as abuse. I wouldn't expect any drive to work under those conditions.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Apply your default audio transition instantly
with Command-Option - T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 12, 2008 07:00PM
I knew Loren would be in here sooner or later brandishing his "User error kills LaCies...LaCies don't kill LaCies" weapon winking smiley Your student must have been doing a lot of 4-wheeling in the mountains to shake it that hard, Loren smiling bouncing smiley

I was rummaging around the attic pulling out the Christmas decorations and came across an old dead D2 - 120 Gigger in it's box. It's loaded with work from years ago...never tried to take it apart & revive the drives. Made me laugh. The only error this user made with this unit was purchasing it. That was my last LaCie...which is why I keep it...to REMEMBER drinking smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 12, 2008 07:38PM
Reminds me of my sister's favourite joke.

Why do elephants drink?
To forget.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics