FCP6 not recognizing my DVCam

Posted by Russ Lichter 
FCP6 not recognizing my DVCam
December 11, 2008 06:45PM
This isn't urgent, so don't feel you need to rush this, but I would love help when someone has a moment.

I'm running FCP 6.0.5 on my G5 tower. I own a Sony DSR-11 DVCam deck. I used to capture many projects with this deck, but in the past couple of years I've been working away from home or capturing via other means.

So today I hook ol' Bessie Lou back up to my G5 and I encounter this problem. I can control the deck through FCP, but the Preview is disabled. And no matter what I do, I can't capture anything. So it can see my DSR, it's collecting timecode, but it's pretending not to see it.

Not sure if I changed something over the years, or if FCP changed something or what. Anyone got the solution?

Thanks!

Russ
Re: FCP6 not recognizing my DVCam
December 12, 2008 05:20AM
Since you haven't used this deck for some time, I wonder if it could be this : FCP can't see my camera/deck after upgrade

December 18, 2008 02:24PM
Thanks, Jude. I finally got around to doing this, but it didn't work. In fact, it just froze up my FCP completely. I moved my folder of Plugins, and that allowed me to start up FCP again, but I'm still getting the PREVIEW DISABLED notice when I try to Capture from the DVCam deck.

HELP!
March 25, 2009 11:41AM
Hi Russ --

I know this thread is a little old, but I figure better this than start a new one. I've had a few weirdo issues with my DSR-11 and my new Mac Pro. The latest is that when the deck is hooked up to the Mac Pro, FCP will not open, just a beach ball. If I connect it when FCP is open, the Log/Capture window will not open, more beach ball. Then if I disconnect, Log/Capture will open. I tried my little camcorder, no problems at all, swapped out cordage, everything pointed to the deck. Trahsed prefs, sometimes it worked, sometimes the problem came back. I sent the DSR-11 in for repair, and after exhaustive testing it was determined that there's nothing wrong with the deck.

I am considering removing the old Quicktime receipts as referenced here, but your last message said that it messed up FCP pretty bad. Did your problem get resolved by using this method? What happened?

P.S. Never a problem with this and my PPC G5.

thanks a lot!
Karl
March 25, 2009 10:48PM
Hey Karl,

No, in the end, all I did was unplug everything, wait a few minutes, plug it all back in, and voila, it worked. Completely stupid. No rhyme or reason. I didn't end up trashing my receipts, so I don't know what else to tell you other than try starting a new topic.

Good luck!
March 25, 2009 11:19PM
Thanks for writing back, Russ! I'll start a new thread then...

take care!
k
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics