vertical video

Posted by efcowin 
vertical video
December 15, 2008 06:49PM
I want to show a video on a computer monitor and I want it to be vertical. I shot the video with the camera on its side. When I brought it in to FCP I had to change the rotation in the motion tab. It still didn't work. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Eileen
Re: vertical video
December 15, 2008 07:21PM
You have to change the Sequence Settings (APPLE-0) so that you have a tall (A x B pixels, where B > A) frame instead of a wide one. Just choose the Easy Setup for the codec you want, then go into Sequence Settings and change the frame size to Custom, and enter the dimensions you want.

Or, edit in a normal wide frame, then rotate the thing in QuickTime Player.

www.derekmok.com
December 15, 2008 07:23PM
?

Why did you change the rotation? Won't you have the monitor on its side...???

Either way you need to put the clip on the timeline first.

If you want to rotate it - double click to get the clip into viewer then click motion tab and rotate that clip.

Resize it to fit using scale and then you can copy and past the clip attributes to other clips in the timeline.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 16, 2008 04:05AM
i'd try working in a normal sequence (if you can) and rotating the final product.
you wont get any RT with freaky sequence settings.

nick
December 16, 2008 09:24AM
Thanks everyone! I will try your suggestions when I get back to the studio Friday. After reading your replies, I don't think I should have rotated the clips in the first place
Eileen
December 16, 2008 10:41AM
Never underestimate the value of just turning your broadcast monitor on it's side.

(Of course, never underestimate the cost of repairing a dropped broadcast monitor, either. Caution is probably not a bad idea.)

December 16, 2008 06:02PM
"After reading your replies, I don't think I should have rotated the clips in the first place "

well if you have to have a vertical "Portrait" image, turning the camera on it's side is the best way to do it.
otherwise you'd be blowing up your image by way too much for it to look good.

you just have to figure out the monitoring side...

nick
December 16, 2008 08:21PM
I agree. I did shoot with the camera on its side but then I rotated the image in FCP. I think if I just shoot with the camera on the side and don't rotate I might be okay. I wish I didn't have to go to my "day job" so I could see if this is right.
Eileen
December 18, 2008 07:40AM
... This is where a nice Dell monitor comes in handy to view your output - nicely showing you your work in portrait. don't much like the idea of tipping a broadcast display on its side!!
December 18, 2008 08:20AM
i don't see the point of turning the end viewer monitor on its side. However, i make a lots of banners with fcp. 240x400 / 680x100 / 720x90 even 300x900. But thats for the web.

i also done a video banner for one of those information screens you see in malls. (720x 2000)
it worked nicely in that format but we didn't have to turn the delivery screen or monitor for that.

I think Bens idea is the best. Just turn it with the motion tab, edit and deal with the pillar box. if you happen to have a large screen to show it on (50inch+) then the client can see it at correct orientation and you don't have to jimmy rig the screen.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
December 18, 2008 08:56AM
Except it's being shown on a rotated monitor. So if you rotated it to cut it, you'd have to rotate it back for output. That's extra work, and you'll degrade the picture if you do the rotations digitally.

Always, always start at the end on a project like this. The delivery format will inform, and in some ways totally define, the production and post workflows.

December 18, 2008 09:44AM
I wish I could get back to the studio to try these suggestions but here is what I am doing:
I am doing a 16 monitor installation. The monitors are all 20" Samsung syncmasters. The monitors will be vertical (portrait)
So ....
Should I shoot with the camera on its side?
Do I rotate? I don't think I should if I shoot it that way. Right?
But editing that way is not good - so will the quality degrade if I rotate back after I edit? In that case maybe I should shoot normally, edit and then rotate.
Thanks,
Eileen
December 18, 2008 09:51AM
These are my opinions, not gospel:

Yes, you should shoot with the camera on its side. No, you should not digitally rotate anything.

What would be best is to get a 20" Samsung Syncmaster and mount it in your suite in the correct orientation, and use that as your reference monitor. Yes, your viewer and canvas will be "sideways," but them's the breaks.

If you do want to shoot and post normally, then rotate everything for delivery, make sure your DOP or camera operator or whomever is actually going to be framing up your shots knows that you have to shoot safe. You will probably need to do some tests and figure out exactly how you want to mask out your viewfinder or whatever you want to do so you can see your safe areas on set.

December 18, 2008 12:21PM
i see.

yep monitor with a 20 turned to the side but use your broadcast monitor for color.

You actually just gave me an idea. I have had 15 screens up in a 10 mile radius for a year now. I have toyed with a few things to get more content on the screen. Currently i use a ticker but it is kind small. Portrait my be the ticket.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics