Final video has jumps?

Posted by moonloon1 
Final video has jumps?
December 21, 2008 10:58AM
Hello everybody, this is my first post, I started on FCE HD III three years ago and just upgraded to FCP 5.1.4. I just started using a Cannon HV30 and I recently shot a video of my sons school Christmas Program. I shot in HDV 1080i 60 so I set up FCP accordingly requiring no render when I drop to timeline. I edited then exported .mov to the same settings as above. However the .mov has jumps like someone in the video moves ahead a few feet as though there are frame dropouts. It only happens a few times in the beginning of 36 min video. Same problem follows on an SD DVD. I went back to FCP and it looks fine (no jumps). What am I doing wrong?
My setup (G5 PPC OS-X.5.5, DP 2.0, 6GB Ram Seagate Enterprise 750 HD and stock 250GB HD)
Re: Final video has jumps?
December 22, 2008 12:07PM
Well, you can detect these anomalies only on an external video monitor. I'm guessing you don't have one? My guess is that you have field issues going from HDV to SD.

Have a read here:
[www.kenstone.net]

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
December 22, 2008 12:12PM
I've seen those on raw footage from a JVC HDV camera. Whole takes ruined by dropouts in data, resulting in black sections of far more than one frame each -- which, in my particular case, seems too serious to be a field issue. We didn't find a fix for this, just had to trash the takes that had this problem. HDV gives me the chills.

www.derekmok.com
December 22, 2008 01:28PM
A dropout on an HDV tape will take out a minimum of one GOP, or fifteen frames of 1080i60.

A dropout on a CF card will take out a whole day's shooting.

I know which I'd take.

December 22, 2008 01:51PM
Hmm... I'd beg to differ on field tearing issues being the case (but current information is very vague). If he inserted a HDV clip into the timeline and it doesn't need rendering, exporting a self contained QT movie and encoding that with a DVD preset in Compressor should not result in field tearing.

Also, he can't export ProRes from FCP 5.1.4. It didn't exist then. AIC is an intermediate codec for 5.1.4.

Also, you should have proper monitoring in FCP, just to completely rule out issues with FCP/ sequence settings/ render issues.

EDIT:

>It only happens a few times in the beginning of 36 min video. Same problem follows on an SD DVD

Ah, didn't see earlier. If your rendered/exported quicktime movie has dropped frames, it likely occurred during the rendering/conforming process. Try switching your sequence codec to AIC and render that out in the timeline.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 22, 2008 01:57PM
> A dropout on an HDV tape will take out a minimum of one GOP, or fifteen frames of 1080i60.
> A dropout on a CF card will take out a whole day's shooting.
> I know which I'd take.

Neither, of course. eye popping smiley

This is why I'm still not completely sold on tapeless workflows. Necessary evil -- it'd be nice if there could be a safety net. I just did a shoot where I had to run a second sound source (live theatre show, no microphones) by planting a Zoom H4 close to the stage, and I knew that I was on pins and needles the whole time because the H4 recorded to a Flash card -- but no sound file would be written until recording was stopped. If the thing was jolted, or fell, or ran out of batteries at 55 minutes into the 60-minute first half, I'd get zilch for my efforts.

www.derekmok.com
December 22, 2008 02:27PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >It only happens a few times in the beginning of
> 36 min video. Same problem follows on an SD DVD
>
> Ah, didn't see earlier. If your rendered/exported
> quicktime movie has dropped frames, it likely
> occurred during the rendering/conforming process.
> Try switching your sequence codec to AIC and
> render that out in the timeline.

How do I switch my sequence codec to AIC? In the FCP timeline the video has no dropouts. I did a 10bit uncompressed export and it played fine except it ended up squashed.
December 22, 2008 02:33PM
derekmok Wrote:
> I've seen those on raw footage from a JVC HDV
> camera.

There are no dropouts on the tape (MiniDV) or on the timeline only on the export from FCP.
December 22, 2008 03:06PM
>I did a 10bit uncompressed export and it played fine except it ended up squashed.

Well, you COULD use Uncompressed 10 bits, except that it's massive in HD.

Apple 0 to bring up sequence settings, click "load sequence preset" and select an AIC setting with the same frame size as your sequence. Render, export a self contained QT movie, bring that into Compressor and encode for DVD.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 22, 2008 04:00PM
strypes Wrote:
> Well, you COULD use Uncompressed 10 bits, except
> that it's massive in HD.
>
> Apple 0 to bring up sequence settings, click "load
> sequence preset" and select an AIC setting with
> the same frame size as your sequence. Render,
> export a self contained QT movie, bring that into
> Compressor and encode for DVD.

Yes, it's 40GB but it comes out squashed when I insert it in iDVD. I have 2TB so HD space is not a problem but how do I get it to retain the 16:9? I will try the Apple O above too, I'm keeping logs so when I find the correct work flow I will stick with that.
December 22, 2008 04:32PM
Ok I did the Apple 0 and the spots that needed render were the spots that did the jumps. I'll try to export with new settings and see what happens. Thank you for the insight, I hope it works. TEG
December 22, 2008 10:27PM
strypes Wrote:
> Apple 0 to bring up sequence settings, click "load
> sequence preset" and select an AIC setting with
> the same frame size as your sequence. Render,
> export a self contained QT movie, bring that into
> Compressor and encode for DVD.

Yeah!!!!! It worked!!! DVD looks great no jumps, just clean video, thank you, thank YOU! I also tried this in LiveType and made titles that droped right into the timeline!!! My wife is happy and my three year old watched himself for about two minutes then wanted to see Spongebob!
December 22, 2008 10:55PM
ARRRRR ya rrrrrready kids? AYE-AYE CAPTAIN!!

I CAN'T HEEEEEAR YOOOOOOOU! AYE-AYE CAPTAIN!!!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH......

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea...SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

Absorbant & yellow & porous is he...SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

Whos nautical nonesense be somethin' you wish...SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

Now DROP ON THE DECK & FLOP LIKE A FISH!...SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

Ready?

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

SPONGE - BOOOOOOOOOOOOOB SQUARE - PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTS!! Ahahahahahaaaaaaa.....

I had to perform that show open for my 10 year old everyday since I can remember (in the pirate voice, of course). If you can't beat 'em...join 'em.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 23, 2008 12:02AM
Funny, my three year old tells me to STOP IT!!!! when I sing that song even though I can sing! At least it's a fun show, oh yeah in the Pirate voice... The only song he ever wants me to sing is Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash. I agree just join 'em it's more fun. At 53 I'm diggin' playing with RC cars , train sets and space ships again! Ha! If I didn't have my son my wife would never have let me get the HD camera and Final Cut Pro.
December 23, 2008 01:15AM
Yeah man...@ 45 (also, because of my son) I just discovered the Wii last year!!! I coulda used this back in the 70's. A looooong way from my PONG & Coleco Vision days. Pretty ironic I end up working for a game company and getting my name on a title that my son & I play together. Blows my mind everyday.

GLAD you fixed your issue, man.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 23, 2008 12:02PM
>I have 2TB so HD space is not a problem but how do I get it to retain the 16:9?

There isn't an Uncompressed HD 1440x1080 preset in FCP, but you can change your sequence compressor codec to Uncompressed HD and export anyway. Compressor will recognize it and down scale accordingly. Make sure that the tracks palette in DVDSP is set to "16:9 letterbox/pan and scan" to encode it with an anamorphic flag.

I'm not sure if you can get any RT effects in full 1080 Uncompressed HD without a capture card or in FCP 5.

Merry Christmas!

www.strypesinpost.com
December 23, 2008 02:23PM
strypes Wrote:
> There isn't an Uncompressed HD 1440x1080 preset in
> FCP, but you can change your sequence compressor
> codec to Uncompressed HD and export anyway.
> Compressor will recognize it and down scale
> accordingly. Make sure that the tracks palette in
> DVDSP is set to "16:9 letterbox/pan and scan" to
> encode it with an anamorphic flag.
>
> I'm not sure if you can get any RT effects in full
> 1080 Uncompressed HD without a capture card or in
> FCP 5.
>
> Merry Christmas!

I just upgraded to FCP so I'm still learning I still don't quite get compressor but I will keep at it till I do. Thank you for all the help. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics